Chronicles of the Self Isolated

The place for everything else.

Chronicles of the Self Isolated

Postby salamanca » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:07 pm

This is just a spot for those of us under orders to stay home to post a few whimsical observations and remind each other the world isn't as horrible as we think it is.

So, today is day 2 of Ohio issuing a Stay at Home Order. I am spending my time split between the House and the Golf Course buildings because not being open for business does not equal not having things that need doing. That really means the inly changes i have are a lack of games and eating my own cooking every night.

However, day 2 has many people going stir crazy. 25 calls to the business asking if we are open. Several senior citizens just showed up expecting to be allowed to play. The whole point is to protect the old and they refuse to stay home.

Meanwhile, my cousin Jere jas deemed that stay at home includes his brother's house next door so they are locked down with all day boardgaming interrupted by web meetings for his business. Gotta say, i am a little jealous.

For dinner last night, i conjured up a can of tomato soup. Turns out if you cook a portion of penne in it and add half a diced bell pepper and a can of carrots (and some spices), most of the soup goes away and you get a tasty pasta dish.

This is also the best excuse i ever had for not having a date.

Share your game victories, kitbashed recipes and goofy moments.

Tonight i am going to teach the cat to play D&D.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Re: Chronicles of the Self Isolated

Postby kenderleech » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:55 pm

I see that last sentence, and i mentally autocorrected it to "Im going to pick all my dice up off the floor multiple times, and lose four under a couch somewhere. Despite there not being a couch in the room the dice were in."
kenderleech

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:46 pm

No cats but the dog is deliriously happy that the humans are here ALL DAY LONG!!!

As for how to get games, (I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before) I've been forced to do them online. Not the greatest (because I can't see folks, even if I can talk to them) but when the option is no games for the duration, well, I'll suffer through*.

As for kitbashing, well earlier this week I learned about a Colorado bison farmer who's got tons of stock and no one to sell it to (restaurants are closed so they don't need to buy). Don't get too excited, he already sold out BUT you can email him to be put on the list should you wanna get in line for the next go round. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is where the new monetary stream will come from. Direct buying.

As of now I have ventured out of the house three times since the 13th. I have desperately TRIED to keep 6' away but morans will be morans.

*Ok promise to keep this secret, but I've been considering running some 7th Sea online for all of you. I'm not sure what I'd run (either one shots or something from HoA, or even a preview of Rogues) but something. I mean hell, given his isolation, even Dave might be desperate enough to have a game online...
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:06 pm

Naw, i don't have access for that.

The cat, just like every new player, opted for a tiefling warlock. Had to call the game waiting for it to stop swatting the first initiative roll.

Day 4 of stay at home has revealed that i really didn't have any better plans anyway.

For any of you with elementary age kids, time for a geography lesson. Make them draw a map of the house and them follow it to pick up all the toys.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:27 pm

Day 2 of the indiana attempt to inconvenience the plague.

People are still coming out to just buy lottery at 6am, in their pajamas.

Business has been exactly as busy as i would have told you it was going to be a month ago, if you told me that we couldnt sell hot dogs. The only business my store is missing from our normal clientelle is the bus drivers and teachers.. and its spring break right now anyways. So, Next week, i might notice a difference.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:13 am

Ohio has had some stores with lottery complaining that the gambling addicts have been swarming the store which certainly doesn't help reduce possible exposure.

Local restauranteer i know has been doing steady carrry out sales but is unsure how long his supply chain for both food and pizza boxes will hold out. (Longer than he expects i would venture)

Chemistry lesson for the kids. Using ammonia to remove bacteria (make them clean the bathroom)
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:25 pm

A game challenge for those who have people to play with.

Get your copy of Dominion out.
Players select card types as usual. Game two requires selecting from card types not used in the previous game. Continue playing games until you run out of cards to choose from.

You are not going stir crazy... a blanket fort is a great idea.
salamanca

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:29 pm

Un-like most of you all, except Ken, I have to go to work, even though I am in the department that is currently not selling much product (flowers). They have marked off the floors in 6 foot squares of tape to let people know how far away from each other they need to be, and they are only letting in 40 people at a time. They are having them come in one side and leaving by the other, have walkie-talkies to communicate so they know how many have left, so they can let others in.

I also have no internet at home, so can only get on occasionally while I am here at work, and my latest hobby is watching people panic, and checking to see what is the latest thing flying off the shelves (definitely not in the flower department), here at work, and I think that TP is still the fastest thing selling.

Been watching "Grimm", (again) and really enjoying it. There are only 6 seasons, but they were able to finish their story arch before they were cancelled, and so that to me makes it even better.

Off to go watch the shoppers and wash my hand and stand in my little corner of the world. Chat at you when I can. Keep safe every one!
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby salamanca » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:03 pm

You can quickly incite a panic run on anything in the store. Just pick something up and loudly state, "thank god they stil have ______ in stock!"

People will suddenly empty that shelf.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:40 pm

A little stuck at home mental exercise for you all.

Bill and Jeanne are recently retired. Since retirement, they have eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner every day at the local diner.

Nobody has asked why. Maybe they were too busy getting high in the early 70's to learn to cook. Maybe Jeanne told Bill when he retired that she retired from the kitchen. Maybe they broke all the dishes fighting. Maybe they are both just really lousy cooks. REGARDLESS, they never eat at home.

So now that the restaurants are forced to be closed and their local diner is not offering a take out option, what are Bill and Jeanne eating today?
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:44 pm

Saturday's doggie bag.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:30 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:No cats but the dog is deliriously happy that the humans are here ALL DAY LONG!!!

*Ok promise to keep this secret, but I've been considering running some 7th Sea online for all of you. I'm not sure what I'd run (either one shots or something from HoA, or even a preview of Rogues) but something. I mean hell, given his isolation, even Dave might be desperate enough to have a game online...

I work from home on a normal basis, however, due to server limitations, and the fact that I do not have direct contact with customers, I am not allowed to log on to the system until after 4 pm local time (and yes, they are running reports to catch violators). This has resulted in a lot of downtime during the day (other than conference calls), which our puppy is absolutely thrilled about!

As to the super-secret 7th Sea online option, while I agree that online games are not entirely ideal, I would DEFINITELY be interested!!!!!
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:36 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote:*Ok promise to keep this secret, but I've been considering running some 7th Sea online for all of you. I'm not sure what I'd run (either one shots or something from HoA, or even a preview of Rogues) but something. I mean hell, given his isolation, even Dave might be desperate enough to have a game online...

If you are looking for a platform, I can recommend Role Play on Line or RPoL.

https://www.rpol.net/
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:03 pm

Figured I'd just use Discord (there wouldn't be any video just audio but that should work for our purposes).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby spizio » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:41 pm

91857260_3025188134167991_7873738135283171328_n.jpg
spizio

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:25 am

In desperate times, even your first dice bag must do it's part ;)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:58 am

A few ways to entertain yourself while not leaving your property.

- slip off to a different room of the house. Snap a photo and text it to someone living in your house with the phrase "wish you were here". See how long it takes for them to come find you.

-take it a step further and shoot close up pics and shots from weird angles and make it a "scsveenger hunt to find where the pic was taken.

-blog your daily activity from the point of view of your dog who does not know why you are home.

-wear only the stuff that is buried the deepest in your closet.

-take a hint from the convention sites and name all the rooms in your house.

-air guitar concert... tomorrow you can turn the music off and give an unplugged performance.

- tell your kids all the other kids are actually at school.

-while making dinner, describe what you are doing out loud like a cooking show. If you have kids, start to add silly things and make them shout "Nooooo!"
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:21 am

I am so tempted to post pictures of the Dread Pirate Roberts in rresponse to the suggestion to wear masks now.

1-they are terribly comfortable.

2-since it doesn't cover the lower face, it is terribly useless.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:20 am

VERY IMPORTANT POST!!!!!!!

My cousin is a registered Nurse who works for a Dialysis center. If anybody understands the risks and need to minimize contact right now, it should be her.

Turns out, my cousin is an idiot.

Yesterday, she packed her three children in the van with her husband, picked up her parents amd drove everybody out to visit Grandpa at the golf course.

My grandpa is 96. We are doing everything we can to keep him from exposure but the Nurse decided to toss caution to the wind because... Easter.

To make it worse...
-They have had the kids out to visit the inlaws and cousins this week. A group we can't confirm has been safe from exposure.

-Her specific job includes rotations to different centers daily. No telling how many people she treats daily.

-She had an amusing story about a patient who was sick this week with symptoms.

-Her parents have been responsibly staying in...and inviting friends over for dinners or breakfasts because they can't go out like usual. So they are "self isolated" except for the 20 friends they keep interacting with.

-My uncle broke a hand this week and had surgery to repair it in wednesday. In the hospital with the second highest number of cases in the state.

And none of them think they were at all possibly exposed to anything because they are idiots.

Then they drop in for a "short" 2 hour visit and refuse to keep distance let alone social distance.

I know many of you want to go visit family today. I get it. But DO NOT BE MY IDIOT COUSIN TODAY.

Stay home, call your family. Leave them healthy so you can get together next month, next year and next decade.

I miss you all. I hope you are all well and stay that way. Stay Home, watch Princess Bride and enjoy a day.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:12 am

This is the week when you realize that buying the 5 gallon bucket of instant Mac & Cheese from Costco wasn't a crazy idea after all.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:06 pm

My store got in a case of employee use hand sanitizer today. made by a distillery in upstate NY. That, according to their website, only makes whiskeys... the sanitizer smells like skunked beer. for like half an hour after you use it. In a twenty foot area all around you.
That is all.
kenderleech

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:35 pm

Well, that should help encourage folks to keep their distance.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:07 pm

Well, at least you will know if the employees are using it.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:14 pm

Oh, great news if you missed it!

Florida has declared pro rasslin' as an essential business. Live shows will resume soon.

Not sure how we were going to make it without Kofi Kingston and AJ Styles spattering each other with saliva while shouting at each other.

(Due to wanting to protect vulnerable senior citizens, i expect Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair will only be doing promo spots)
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:56 am

If you are an MD and work for the World Health Organization, does that make you Doctor WHO?

The Governor here in Ohio clarified yesterday that large group gatherings will be the LAST thing he reinstates. He could not promise that the Ohio State football team would be playing, he would not even say he was hoping that we would be at that step in the fall. For those of you who are not Ohio sports people, that is about the same as telling a guy he will not be getting lucky on his wedding night. Actually, for football fans in Ohio, it is worse, they know the football game will be exciting.

But for us, it means the Origins clock is again at 50 percent of happening.
salamanca

Next

Return to Mundane Matters