Chronicles of the Self Isolated

The place for everything else.

Re: Chronicles of the Self Isolated

Postby salamanca » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:05 pm

The ads for these impromptu live shows that are turning up with celebrities entertaining us from their homes has made me take on a new appreciation for certain things...

-Overdubbing
-Good Microphones
-Mixing Boards
-Rehearsals
-Tuning
-Sound Checks
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:58 am

Well, if the people are not smart enough to stay off the golf course and at home, nature is. We haven't had a temperature over 45 this week and it is currently snowing. So Stay Home!

This weekend, i would love to hear that you all did something a little special for yourselves. Prep your favorite meal, take on an old hobby that you put aside, wear your fancy duds and dance with your spouse in the kitchen.

Just something frivolous and fun and light. Dig out that album you loved in college and play it again. I will be up in the room of spare craft parts rummaging around for a project i never really embraced. Might be paint, might be scrimshaw, could be candle related...just have to see what jumps out.
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Excellent recommendation! I've got a mini for my pathfinder game (currently on hold due to quarantine) that has been primed for MONTHS - 'bout time I got around to painting it.
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:47 pm

Love the idea of painting my minis but its been so long I am certain the paints have dried out. But I can take a pic of one of my favorites. Here you go!
Undead Pirate Captain (small).jpg
Undead Pirate Captain (small).jpg (44.14 KiB) Viewed 22030 times

But as for doing something nice for myself. I have family, comic books, and have reluctantly agreed to online games. So all in all, doing well.

THOUGH now that you mention it, it'd be nice to hear from some of the quieter folks (MIKE I'M LOOKING AT YOU HERE) just to know they're doing ok.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:27 am

or, instead of doing something nice for myself, i could go to work to investigate a possible theft.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:37 am

Stealing the skunky hand sanitizer was a service, not a theft.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:01 am

It was lottery, and im glad to say that it was a paperwork error and not theft.. therefor, a training opportunity for my n00b assistant manager
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:15 am

Training Opportunity...great euphemism for "do it again".

From the dept. of Only in Ohio...
A man, stuck at his parent's home, off work and not having access to the local gym due to closures solved his problem.

He went out in the woods behind the house, started cutting down smaller trees and built himself some workout weight equipment.

He has barbells, a treadmill and other stuff. It looks like Flintstones gear but it works.

If you google "lumber-jacked gym in Ohio" you will find pics articles and video.

I think he should build a car next.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:19 am

Yabba-Dabba-Do IT!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:46 am

Black Jack Rackham wrote: it'd be nice to hear from some of the quieter folks just to know they're doing ok.

HA! Define OK...

From three tabletop RPG games a month down to zero. Exercising/swimming 6 days a week at the Fitness Center to zero. No operas, musicals, plays, or concerts. Little shopping or visiting. No visits to 4-5 libraries. From eating at 10-15 restaurants a week to 0. Hobby meetings now at 0. Haven't been on a train or bus in weeks. The list goes on...

On the good side, my optional expenses are down over 75%. Gas is really cheap. Utilities and insurance haven't changed. I'm now visiting new markets and delis, and those that I haven't looked at in 20 years. I've rediscovered YouTube. I've started reading some of the thousands of paperbacks that I've picked up on the cheap over the years, plus throwing out old magazines and catalogs.

Much of the news on radio and TV is repetitive and of little value. My finances have been getting better since March 23! Am on my second roll of TP since, I think, February.
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:52 am

Yeah, the gas prices hurt the worst. Sooooo cheap and noplace to go.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:11 pm

Sister Sonya wrote: I'm now visiting new markets and delis, and those that I haven't looked at in 20 years.

salamanca wrote:Yeah, the gas prices hurt the worst. Sooooo cheap and noplace to go.

Lots of places actually!

I am shopping/getting further and further away from home for these new markets and delis, 3 to 5 miles now. And, I'm actually considering ordering my first take out pizza in 50 some years, since away from home at college actually!
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:59 am

For those making facemasks at home:

I know germ paranoia will have some of you considering possible "better options" to using cloth because cloth has small gaps in it that a germ could sneak through.

Before you do that keep the following in mind...

A Hefty Bag will stop any germs from sneaking though and guarantee you do not get coronavirus. Mostly because you will suffocate first.

Stick to cloth.

Side note: the only piece of material left in the local walmart went unpurchased. It was a DC comics "Justice League" logo pattern with a variety of stockpose female superheroes on it. I skipped it for two reasons.
1- Wonder Woman was the only character on it that has actually been on the team which i thought was a pretty lame representation.

2- i could not see any way to cut the material without the mask being entirely legs and breasts which seemed a little inappropriate.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:28 am

salamanca wrote:Yeah, the gas prices hurt the worst. Sooooo cheap and noplace to go.

You could be like my customers, and use all that cheap gas... to keep going to the gas station 10 times a day for fountain pops and lottery.
kenderleech

Postby cpugs » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:33 pm

I took part in a 4 hour LARP Saturday evening on Discord, which went remarkably well. It was part of a Virtual gaming weekend. It hit the spot...
cpugs

Postby salamanca » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:24 pm

You guys in Indy should do what we did here. Close the fountain pops and roller dog sections. Work is so much nicer without customers.

Charlie, glad you got to have a fun game.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:34 am

Things you never would have seen without the coronavirus:

- Pitbull with his sunglasses off.
- Cate Blanchett's vast office library wall.
- Rachel Ray interrupting her show to take the laundry out of the dryer.
- The two Funko Pop figures in Lavar Burton's Office (Geordi and Picard)
- Which celebrities read and which ones have some books to decorate.
- No matter who you are, a two year old will not behave on camera.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:13 pm

The grill is closed. the fountain and coffee dispensers (not pots) are still open. as is everything else in the store.
kenderleech

Postby daundelyon » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:26 am

salamanca wrote:If you are an MD and work for the World Health Organization, does that make you Doctor WHO?

That's why there are so many incarnations. :)

Sam and I are both working from home. He is busy keeping financial shenanigans under control. I am babysitting a computer for 10 hours a day. Some parts of my job I can do from home, other parts are problematic because they require a physical copy of paperwork. As a result, two of my coworkers who aren't able to work from home due to connectivity reasons are still in the office, which just makes me twitch. My case load is 1/5 of what it normally is due to cancellation of elective surgeries for the foreseeable future (although some rumbles are being made about reopening). As soon as the breaks come off we are going to get slammed and we're working on the best way to deal with the coming flood. For the most part people have been pretty cool about it. Open enrollment has been cancelled until next year, and somehow our company URAC audit is going to be done remotely, I have no idea how that's going to work (for the medically inclined, URAC is Joint Commission for the HIPAA adjacent set).
Video chats with the family have been helpful. I miss my nieces and nephews.
"He used the Force!"
"Yeah, mass times acceleration!"
daundelyon

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:07 pm

daundelyon wrote:
salamanca wrote:Video chats with the family have been helpful. I miss my nieces and nephews.

I am fortunate that I have all my "necessary" family in the house with me. (we call grandparents once or twice a month and other than that we're on our own).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:54 pm

In "The continuing adventures of retail man" today, we had a guy come in at 545am, and ask for 5 one dollar scratch off tickets. Pull a handful of change out of his pocket, SNEEZE INTO THE HAND HOLDING THE CHANGE, and then dump it on the counter for me to count.

So i poured a half bottle of high strength sanitizer on it, and stood there, silently, for a full two minutes, holding his tickets, because i scooped the change into a cup, washed it off, and then counted it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later today, a different customer comes in, and wanders the store for a solid ten minutes, touching things, then comes up with a bag of chips and a soda. as he is paying he says that he just left the hospital where his mother died of the covid.

I locked the store and sprayed hazardous chemicals all over the place. for a good ten minutes.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:55 pm

I will cut the second guy a break if said story is true.

At least my customers are mostly polite about stuff. But they all want to shake hands.

And two of them are convinced the whole thing is a media hoax and nobody has actually been sick or died from this. Not sure what the endgame benefit of the elaborate hoax is but i am sure they have some tinfoil hat theories. (Most shameful is they are both my age and should know better)
salamanca

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:11 pm

It's funny what thoughts go through my head when standing alone in the floral department, prepping some bouquets. It is the one spot I can pull the mask down for a few minutes to actually breath the air. If I have to talk or interact with anyone on the store floor, then I have it back up. But taking a "breather" and letting my face cool off for a few minutes, I suddenly got hit with the thought of Weird Al singing a song about the masks.

It would be called "Free Face", sung to the melody of "Freeze Frame", by J. Geils band.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Watcher487 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:31 pm

The other side...

Packages are about on Christmas levels of hell. UPS might have moved to working only 5 days a week, so on Sunday we get to deliver all of those packages too. While mail volume is down, I have seen a lot more people sending letters out to relatives lately.

Traffic was amazing for the first 2 weeks, I generally travel down a busy State Highway for the first 2 hours of my day while attempting not getting killed. For the last month there are periods that vehicles will just be everywhere (not bumper to bumper, just everywhere).

Most of my customers are PARANOID. And considering this is upstate NY that's being nice. While one has not been pointed in my direction, I've seen more than I've wished to see.

Video Games has helped the lack of social interactions for me. I'm debating about upgrading the computer to start Streaming.

Yeah this is disconjointed but it's me... Be safe everyone.
Watcher487

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:03 am

While DeWine decides whether or not to lift/ease the quarantine after May 1st, the town next to us is extending to May 31st.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

PreviousNext

Return to Mundane Matters