WISHFUL THINKING? Countdown to GenCon 2021

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

WISHFUL THINKING? Countdown to GenCon 2021

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:00 am

All kidding aside, I just started this post to let folks know that IF you are planning on going next year (regardless of whether or not it actually happens) you are going to need to start thinking about rooms at this point. (yes, yes, I know. Not you Ken, you're immune from the chaos of hotel reservations).

And as a warning, I just logged into my usual method to get rooms and encountered a problem. Not insurmountable but irritating and possibly offputting. If like me, you want go come in a day early and leave a day late, the rates change so the system won't be able to handle that. You have to get one reservation for the con, then a different one for the extra day (or two). Stupid, I know, but if you search for all the days, it will tell you there's no availability (cause they jacked the prices during the con).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: WISHFUL THINKING? Countdown to GenCon 2021

Postby daundelyon » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:54 pm

I reserved ours without an issue, which is fairly amazing given my luck with all things computer this week.
"He used the Force!"
"Yeah, mass times acceleration!"
daundelyon

Postby kenderleech » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:58 pm

Im not immune to it. I just had all of it for the rest of the time its in indy compressed into 3 months. And you dont need to involved 3 government agencies, 4 banks, 3 insurance companies, 4 inspectors and a full work crew of roofers and an electrician to get your room.

My "Room" costs me 44 bucks a day, split 3 ways currently, but i had to get the room for a minimum of 5 years.
kenderleech

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:24 pm

One of the perks of working the con - I don't have to worry about the hotel. (Of course, I also get very limited time to actually play any games....)
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:22 pm

Ken posted this elsewhere but since he was nice enough to let me know, I thought I should pass along the news to you.

https://www.gencon.com/press/holidays-2 ... 21-updates

And if you don't feel like clicking the link, here's the press release.

GenCon wrote:As we approach the winter holidays and the end of the (let’s say less-than-ideal) year, we’re looking ahead to the future and know you have some of the same questions that we do about our plans for 2021.

If 2020 has taught us anything, it’s that nothing is certain, and that our lives are even more interconnected than ever before. We don’t take for granted the magic of gathering en masse with all of you in Indianapolis each summer, and we can’t wait to do it again. Will that happen this August? In all honesty, we don’t know yet, but we really hope so.

Our goal for the new year is to hold Gen Con 2021 as planned, in person in Indianapolis from August 5-8. We’re working towards that objective with health and safety as our top priority. A variety of factors need to come together for a physical convention to be feasible, and we’re carefully monitoring local and national safety and travel guidelines, health data, resource availability, and the advice of our finest sages, scientists, and sorcerers.

Considering this uncertainty, we’re postponing badge registration and event submission until we have a better idea of what the year will hold. We’ll announce new dates as soon we can, and you should expect more updates from us in the next couple of months. To keep up on the latest news, subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on social media.

We appreciate your continued support, and we miss you, our Gen Con family all across the world. Please take care of each other and have a safe and happy holiday season!

Happy Holidays,

Your Friends at Gen Con

And just a reminder from your friendly neighborhood GM. Now would be a great time to book your room (complete with fully refundable charges up to a week prior to check in).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby cpugs » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:50 am

Gen Con has just moved to September 16-19, or 2 weeks before Origins. Now vendors need to choose where they will go.
cpugs

Postby salamanca » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:00 am

yep, that is a little dirty play there. so will a lot of players with limited vacation time.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:10 pm

I, on the other hand, expect to have 5 weeks of vacation time left at that point...
kenderleech

Postby Watcher487 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:47 pm

kenderleech wrote:I, on the other hand, expect to have 5 weeks of vacation time left at that point...

Ohh, that might be tempting. Super Convention I might be able to get that time off too.... 21 days off in a row....
Watcher487

Postby Watcher487 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:57 am

Okay Mark, the very important part of the trip.

1 in Pennsylvania
8 in Ohio
3 in Indiana
And 0 in New York... I don't know how that happened but yeah day 0 was not too bad overall.
Watcher487

Postby salamanca » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:41 pm

Deer or bottles. I can't recall which is important.

Stay safe con folk!

And roll some dice for me.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Watcher487 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:04 am

salamanca wrote:Deer or bottles. I can't recall which is important.

Stay safe con folk!

And roll some dice for me.

Speed traps... Also almost got hit by one in Pennsylvania during one of the many torrential downpours.
Watcher487

Return to Events