Background - Dr. Miguel Contreras

The place to ask questions about taking a Background, discuss Backgrounds, and post your Background, etc.

Background - Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Sat May 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Miguel was the youngest son of a noble Castilian family and received the best education his parent's money could buy. As a student of engineering he was at the head of his class; professors often asked him to tutor other students who had difficulty. He was well rounded in the Liberal arts, excelling in singing, dancing and acrobatics. Miguel was a regular performer in school theater productions. Miguel stood out to his professors and as a result they gave him a special assignment; they asked him to be a spy.

Per instructions to observe certain students, Miguel became a regular among the "wrong crowd". Miguel witnessed these classmates committing small pranks and minor vandalism. Over time Miguel developed an appetite for their behavior and began to enjoy the escapades along with them. Eventually their adventures became more extreme; arson was committed and a local farmer's barn was burned down. As a result, Miguel and his cohorts were eventually caught and kicked out of school.

Miguel's father, who was of course disappointed in his son's behavior, put Miguel to work as a sailor on a ship. Before long, the ship's captain, Jose Rivera, took note of Miguel's intellect. He removed Miguel from riggings work and had him transferred to the medical unit of the boat. Miguel became an aid to Dr. Carlos Santiago, who taught the young man everything he knew. Miguel was a quick learner and, after some time, could perform all of the ship board duties of a naval physician.

One day Miguel got word that his father was on his deathbed and so he asked Capt. Rivera if he could be released of his duties. Capt. Rivera told him that he appreciated all that Miguel had done for the ship and crew and wished him well.

Miguel returned home just in time to hear his father tell him how proud and pleased he was of Miguel's changes and that he became a doctor. His father died shortly thereafter in Miguel's arms. Miguel discovered that his father died of injuries sustained while defending his home from theives. That the theives had be later caught and brought to justice by Knights of the Rose & Cross. Miguel then decided to join the Rose & Cross to also help and procect those who cannot defend themselves.

Miguel became the Tyro of Knight Juan Ruiz. Juan taught Miguel how to be humble and serve others. He also taught him Fencing and how to be Streewise. Towards the end of Miguel's Knight training, Juan was mortally wounded during a battle against criminals. Migual and the other Knights were able to subdue and/or kill the criminals but Miguel was not able to save Juan. With his dieing breath Juan gave his Soldano sword to Miguel and made Miguel promise that he would look for a teacher of the Soldano school. Juan made the promise and is now on that quest.

Having been on the lookout for a Soldano teacher in Soldano, Miguel has become somewhat of a Local Hero. Miguel saved locals from some bandits and healed the sick, especially widows and children. He continues to fight for what is right and just and to help protect those who cannot defend themselves.
Last edited by Dr. Miguel Contreras on Wed May 09, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Re: Background - Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat May 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Dr Van Stuben wrote:He was also athletic, taking classes in Wrestling and soft martial arts.

Just a note, Soft Martial Arts (the skill from from the Cathay book) is unknown here in western Theah. As such it isn't an available skill (as with anything from the Cathay, Crescent Empire, Die Kreuzritter, Islands of Gold, Rilasciare, or Sophia's Daughters sourcebooks).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Background -- Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Sat May 05, 2012 10:57 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
Dr Van Stuben wrote:He was also athletic, taking classes in Wrestling and soft martial arts.

Just a note, Soft Martial Arts (the skill from from the Cathay book) is unknown here in western Theah. As such it isn't an available skill (as with anything from the Cathay, Crescent Empire, Die Kreuzritter, Islands of Gold, Rilasciare, or Sophia's Daughters sourcebooks).

Gotcha, thanks.
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby salamanca » Sun May 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Swap it for pugilism or dirty fighting depending on how honorably your doctor went about his lessons.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Sun May 06, 2012 9:56 pm

salamanca wrote:Swap it for pugilism or dirty fighting depending on how honorably your doctor went about his lessons.

Cool, thanks.
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 08, 2012 12:54 pm

So is Miguel a Knight or not?
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Tue May 08, 2012 3:28 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:So is Miguel a Knight or not?

Yes he will be a Wandering Knight of the Rose & Cross with Fencing at 3 and Surgery at 3 and Leaping at 3 but he will not be pursuing a sword school, he will still protect and defend the helpless with his fencing (9k4 with Soldano sword) but he really wants to heal and help the sick. He wants to be the best doctor he can be and advance medicine.

Does that work? Or am I misunderstanding how this works. Today I signed up for all 5 Origin events. So I thought that with the Soldano sword school background I would have to use the xp earned in the 1st four mods to spend them at the PA to become an initiate of the Soldano school (assuming I earn 20xp in the 1st four mods). Then I would be saving xp for the next 6 mods or so (2-3 years) to spend the 30 xp to become an apprentice. Then I could start spending on traits and other skills.

Or am I wrong and really I can spend my early xp on traits and other stuff and then a couple of years from now spend the xp to become an initiate? If the later is the case then I that will work.
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 08, 2012 4:30 pm

How you spend your points is entirely up to you. So if you want to find a teacher (either swordschool or education), I will work with that.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Tue May 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Ok, then I'll stick with the original idea. I'm going to finish the backstory and background now.
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue May 08, 2012 4:47 pm

Dr. Miguel Contreras wrote: Fencing at 3 ... (9k4 with Soldano sword)

Isn't that 7k4 +2?
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 08, 2012 5:00 pm

Dr. Miguel Contreras wrote:Ok, then I'll stick with the original idea. I'm going to finish the backstory and background now.

Good because that's where I was going with my original idea. I'd have had to make some changes. Now you're in for it :twisted:

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Tue May 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Sister Sonya wrote:
Dr. Miguel Contreras wrote: Fencing at 3 ... (9k4 with Soldano sword)

Isn't that 7k4 +2?

Sorry, it's been awhile since I played 7th Sea and I can't remember all the details.
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Tue May 08, 2012 5:10 pm

Dr. Miguel Contreras wrote:Ok, then I'll stick with the original idea. I'm going to finish the backstory and background now.

Good because that's where I was going with my original idea. I'd have had to make some changes. Now you're in for it :twisted:

Oh, then I'm glad that I'm going back to the original idea. :D
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby salamanca » Tue May 08, 2012 6:26 pm

it is 7k4 +2 soldano blade adds 2 to the total of every roll made using it. Still a very, very healthy level of skill for a "doctor".
salamanca

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Tue May 08, 2012 10:18 pm

salamanca wrote:it is 7k4 +2 soldano blade adds 2 to the total of every roll made using it. Still a very, very healthy level of skill for a "doctor".

Cool. Is that for damage rolls as well?
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Dr. Miguel Contreras wrote:
salamanca wrote:it is 7k4 +2 soldano blade adds 2 to the total of every roll made using it. Still a very, very healthy level of skill for a "doctor".

Nope, just Attack (Fencing) and Parry (Fencing)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Wed May 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Dr. Miguel Contreras wrote:

Nope, just Attack (Fencing) and Parry (Fencing)

Gotcha, thanks.
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby salamanca » Thu May 10, 2012 5:05 pm

Sorry Mark, gotta dock you a point.

Soldano Blade (pg. 102 Castille sourcebook) Is a 2k2 damage fencing blade that grants +2 to all rolls made with it including Attack, Parry, Damage, and swordsman fencing attacks. It also increases attempts to break it by 5.

I have never played a Castillian that did not carry one and have never, ever remembered to add the 2 to a roll. Ever. (I have a bad habit of not looking at my sheet when I should)
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu May 10, 2012 5:18 pm

salamanca wrote:Sorry Mark, gotta dock you a point.

Soldano Blade (pg. 102 Castille sourcebook) Is a 2k2 damage fencing blade that grants +2 to all rolls made with it including Attack, Parry, Damage, and swordsman fencing attacks. It also increases attempts to break it by 5.

I have never played a Castillian that did not carry one and have never, ever remembered to add the 2 to a roll. Ever. (I have a bad habit of not looking at my sheet when I should)

CURSES! Dave is, as usual, Miguel, correct...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Fri May 11, 2012 5:46 pm

salamanca wrote:Sorry Mark, gotta dock you a point.

CURSES! Dave is, as usual, Miguel, correct...

I don't have a Castillian book, so while you are looking Dave, can you check and see if Miguel is from Soldano that he can get the Soldano blade for 5hp instead of 6hp (hey, every point I can get buys me another pip in some skill :D ).
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri May 11, 2012 6:33 pm

Dr. Miguel Contreras wrote:I don't have a Castillian book, so while you are looking Dave, can you check and see if Miguel is from Soldano that he can get the Soldano blade for 5hp instead of 6hp (hey, every point I can get buys me another pip in some skill :D ).

This one I can answer. This is part and parcel of the whole 'Family Bonuses' discussion. Since we aren't using the former, we won't be using the latter either.

So short answer, it costs 6 HP regardless of where you're from.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Miguel Contreras » Mon May 14, 2012 2:34 pm

Ok, gotcha.

I've now finished my character except for the fine tuning stuff. As a noble Miguel starts with 1,500 G, correct? Can I go ahead and buy stuff with that money and whatever is left over is the amount of money Miguel has to start the 1st game?
Dr. Miguel Contreras

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon May 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Well technically you get

Player's Guide p.122 wrote:...a set of clothes and a single weapon of their choice.

for being a player character in addition to your starting money plus

Player's Guide p. 122 wrote:a single manor house, complete with staff and a small population of serfs who work the land

which you are responsible for (and which may or may not be relevant to the campaign depending on where it's located) and which nets you 500G/month for your own use for being a Noble.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon May 14, 2012 4:35 pm

And you triple that monthly income for start up money so, yes. You have 1500 to start with. Just keep in mind that as a noble the local merchants only want to sell you the fancy stuff once play starts so it spends kinda quick. (but is way more than you will need for starting gear). Purchase your heart out.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Tue May 15, 2012 12:30 am

You know, I believe a young nobleman could use all of the help that he can get, while establishing himself in a new town. I recommend a large donation or tithe to the Church of the Prophets.

May Thues be with you, my son!
Sister Sonya

Next

Return to Backgrounds