Advice To Our New Players

Introductions, Greetings, Salutations, and other Noob Questions.

Advice To Our New Players

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 01, 2012 11:45 pm

Here it is a month before Origins and we have a new player who's signed up, and I have been contacted via email from no less than 5 others who wish to play.

One of them asked me a very good question which I thought I should turn over to you experienced players. She asked me, if there were any guidelines I could give her in character creation for things that should not be overlooked (like the famous Keen Senses for CV)

So, my experienced players, what suggestions would you give? Any 'must have' skills or advantages? A Trait that is more important than most (that I rely on more than others)? A killer combo (Vodacce Swordsmen, or Ussuran Shapeshifters). Alternately, anything to stay away from (Don't buy Faith cause its a waste of points, don't play Vestenmannjavnjar cause we have too damn many of them anyway?)

I'll begin by putting my list in the second post. That way I can edit it and add all of yours in too so newcomers can find it easily.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Advice To Our New Players

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 01, 2012 11:46 pm

I gave her the following list:
1) Have 3 pips in your most used defenses
2) Don't show up with a Wits of 1 or I'll make you pay
3) Remember the synergy bonuses
4) Work and play well with others because in the end, remember you are a HERO
5) And play the character you are intrigued with rather than the one with the best stats.
6) Take a Background, it'll help get you personally invested in this game.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed May 02, 2012 3:19 am

1. From a roleplaing perspective, work to develop a character that is interesting to you, and will still be interesting to you 10 years from now!

You are going to be thinking as this character; acting as this character; doing stupid things, getting embarrassed, and then apologizing as this character, etc. (Carry this through to "R" or even "X" if that should apply to you.)

2. From a game mechanics perspective, try to think ahead and pick all of the advantages, skills, and such now, that you may wish to use throughout his/her story (look at the Advanced Knacks). But, in addition,you should decide now if your character will be learning languages (Linguist), needs extra history (several Advantages), things that cannot be chosen later or will be way more expensive later (Sorcery, Sword Schools, skills, etc.)

When in doubt, ask one of us for assistance!
Sister Sonya

Postby Orianna » Wed May 02, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks for the advice! I'm one of the new players mentioned (new to this campaign, not to roleplaying, 7th Sea, or living campaigns). My questions were mostly focused on what kind of characters work well for this campaign - for example, I play in a LARP where one of the character creation guidelines is "don't play a loner who refuses to work with others. You will have nothing to do." (Sound advice for most games, I think!)
Orianna

Postby Sister Sonya » Wed May 02, 2012 5:05 pm

Well, you can play a loner. In the actual event modules it won't matter so much, so long as you can work together with the other characters towards a common goal. But, you will have a lot less fun in the Personal Agendas!

The easiest way to work with other characters is to share common things: Backgrounds, Skills/Knacks, Professions, Artistic endeavors, Merchant businesses, heritage, etc.
Sister Sonya

Postby Orianna » Wed May 02, 2012 5:18 pm

I guess I was mostly wondering about how/why a PC is "hooked" into an adventure. The other living campaign I play is L5R, so even if the module contains nothing that would interest my character, I still have a reason to be there: my PC was sent on assignment by her daimyo. 7th Sea gives PCs a bit more independence, though, so I wanted to make sure I don't end up with a character who has no good reason to get involved (for example, "I'm a baker! What am I doing on a ship being attacked by pirates?"). It looks like most of these modules take place in or around Altamira, so PCs don't have to be wanderers, but I was wondering if there are any other factors that could make it easier or harder to fit into an adventure.

I have a character concept already and I think she'll be fine (she wants to help people), but if you have any advice on this, I'd be glad to hear it.
Orianna

Postby salamanca » Wed May 02, 2012 6:28 pm

For the most part, we are hooking players via npc contacts that were made in previous sessions. If nothing personally invests you, one of them will ask you to look into things as a favor. My tip is this: think about playing a local. We are telling you all up front that the game is set in a particular city. We are focused on that location. Advantages like local hero and extended family will promise to pay off repeatedly. Secret societies will have things to do and tie you to friends in the campaign. Don't get stat obsessive but do have at least one good combat knack. When in doubt, roleplay around your shortcomings; we are suckers for that.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed May 02, 2012 6:52 pm

salamanca wrote:When in doubt, roleplay around your shortcomings; we are suckers for that.

QFT

At my monthly FLGS Game we're playing Modern Day Supers. One of my PCs just (accidentally) killed a villain. He (the player) sat with his head down for several seconds telling the other PCs to go on without him (but indicating this was the behavior of his PC). When he did look up, he'd actually worked up real tears.

I almost had a joygasm (and more important to you all, I gave him extra XP for the session)

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Orianna » Wed May 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Heh. I've been gently reminded on occasion to do a little less roleplaying; another PC and I once had an hour-long conversation in the middle of an adventure (in character, of course) and we ran way overtime—luckily it was amusing enough that the other players didn't get bored listening; I could hear the crunching of imaginary popcorn.

Since I approach gaming from a theatre background, I get really into the whole "becoming the character" thing, doing things the character would do even if, at times, I (as a player) know it won't work out well. It got one of my PCs taken away by the Sidhe ("If you help us with [this], I'll sing for you forever!"). She might get rescued... I hope...

I wasn't planning on having any combat knacks, but my character will have some other skills that could support the fighters and/or help to avoid having to fight in the first place (hey, look, a diversion!).
Orianna

Postby Alejandro » Mon May 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Another new player here. I also play in the same LARP that Orianna mentioned, but I'm switching character types: I play a full-blooded Glamour mage usually, but I'm switching to a Swordsman for this. Anyone have any clever Swordsman tips and synergies?

My advice for new players: unless you have a plan for it, or you're from Avalon, don't take Legendary Trait. It's three HP down the drain for something you may never achieve.
Alejandro

Postby salamanca » Mon May 07, 2012 9:05 pm

You will not want to stockpile xp for a second style, nor will you want to burn HP to start with two so pick one school you really like. Look at the journeyman level benefits as they are what you will spend the longest relying on in play. Find a style you like and think will benefit what you want to do. If you plan on clearing the way for the team, brute control like Soldano works. If you like holding actions to strike late, look at aldana and gallegos. If your tastes run to taking the villian head on or you want to spend PA sessions fighting duels, valroux and the vodacce styles are nice. Regardless, pick a school from your home nation. No point paying extra HP just for that. In campaign play, you will have a party to back you up. Abilities that reduce a Target Number can end a fight if the rest of the team hold an action to take advantage of it. Also look at the templates on the website. I built those to exploit the skills of the various schools. (bonus points for skipping the mage, I hate sorcery)
salamanca

Postby spizio » Thu May 10, 2012 12:42 pm

Take craft mead brewing, you will be sure to make a fortune! You will also have a personal army of Vestys.

While I had heard of 7th Sea I had never played it before, I wasn't sure of the setting concept. I have played and enjoyed games run by Mark though so decided to give it a chance. While deciding if and how much I would get into the game I saw a miniature that I liked and a basic character concept came to mind based on it. Please note the game is played high swashbuckling style so minis are not actually needed it was just a tool I used. I looked at the summary setting and rules material Mark provided and talked concept with him to build an actual character. Try something, if you don't like it you will be allowed to make tweaks within the first setting or two. Mark had suggested an academics knowledge skill that I decided wasn't right so I swapped it for a merchant based knowledge skill that was a better fit for my character after the first or second session. Go accounting! Play what you think will be fun.
spizio

Postby salamanca » Thu May 10, 2012 4:53 pm

The important thing is that Mark and I both are long standing Ministers in the Cult of "Entertaining Trumps Stats". We may make it near impossible for you to succeed at something you have no skill in but if it's entertaining we will let you try.

This whole campaign is about you having fun and us having fun. Wee try not to get too hung up on minutae and details when we can avoid it.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu May 10, 2012 5:15 pm

salamanca wrote:The important thing is that Mark and I both are long standing Ministers in the Cult of "Entertaining Trumps Stats". We may make it near impossible for you to succeed at something you have no skill in but if it's entertaining we will let you try.

This whole campaign is about you having fun and us having fun. Wee try not to get too hung up on minutae and details when we can avoid it.

HALLEUJAH! Brother Dave, PREACH THE WORD!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu May 23, 2013 12:44 pm

Thought I might give this a little bump to give people my impressions now that we're into Year 3. Some new suggestions to give you a better understanding of the campaign so to speak.

1. Talk to the NPCs. They have information and not all of it pertains to the adventures at hand. There's a lot of stuff going on around town that has gone completely unnoticed, as of yet...

2. Get involved. Many of the NPCs (and other players) are in need of help but don't know who to turn to. They are looking for you to offer, and waiting for you to rescue them.

3. Use your contacts. You know people in town, if you get lost you can ask around. Someone is sure to know what you need, and given how helpful you've been would be glad to return the favor.

4. Your actions (and the lack thereof) matter. The campaign has changed dozens of times because of player actions (anyone remember the stump Santino mentions?!?). Keep this in mind.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu May 23, 2013 3:45 pm

Something I had not been thinking of until somebody mentioned it this month. Sword school mastery... It takes a lot of XP to master a school IF you start with rank 1 knacks. This is a LIMITED time campaign. 24 adventures plus personal agenda sessions. If you plan to try and hit master, you will need to spend every point you get on swordsman knacks and plan on playing 1 or more PA sessions EVERY year. That will mean settling for your current Trait levels through most of the campaign. So either spend to raise during character creation for a head start or settle in for a long run.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu May 23, 2013 3:49 pm

What Dave just said is the honest truth. This campaign has a definite END. Once it's over your characters are FINISHED*. Treat them that way. No time to save up for a rainy day, no tomorrows once this is over. FINITO.

*Yes we have talked about a final campaign to tie all the three I currently have in mind together (which might involve a return to these heroes, emphasis on MIGHT). HOWEVER, that will require me to live to around 90 to get it all done. So DO NOT COUNT ON IT.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu May 23, 2013 11:43 pm

I might have a work-around for that. We will talk in person about this.
salamanca

Postby spizio » Sun May 26, 2013 12:59 pm

salamanca wrote:I might have a work-around for that. We will talk in person about this.

a Mark-a-licous Lich?
spizio

Postby salamanca » Sun May 26, 2013 2:17 pm

Well, my genetics make me a good bet to be available to run games until at around 2060. Now if I can still hear the players... That may be an issue. But I had something else in mind regarding the third campaign idea.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon May 19, 2014 4:33 pm

Well it's that time of year when we start seeing new faces showing up. I know for a fact that we've got more than a couple of lurkers who are looking around for new info. So, let me give this thread a little bump as a way of saying, CHECK THIS STUFF OUT!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Mon May 19, 2014 5:04 pm

One thing to consider and be careful of is "Watch the Language". Words have meaning and can be painful and frustrating to hear over and OVER again. Be considerate of others at the table, don't be misogynist/homophobic/ableist/racist, don't shout in people's ears and PLEASE DON'T use "But it's just in character~!" as an excuse. Otherwise, Lady Grace gets shanky... :evil:
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby ZombieTonyBlair » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:30 pm

I have a buddy who is interested in playing more at Gencon, but he can't find his sheet from the one game he played last year. Any advice for this situation?
ZombieTonyBlair

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:06 am

Endure the hours and hours of shame, derision, and scorn we will heap upon him (or bring me a diet peach snapple iced tea)... ;)

Seriously though, if he can remember the gist of it, just recreate it. Or if not make a new one. Alternately, if he doesn't have time, we always have premades he can play at the con. As for XP, we can handle that at the table if he remembers what adventure he played.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:45 am

The diet peach Snapple iced tea does work, for the record...
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Next

Return to Welcome