Jake here

Introductions, Greetings, Salutations, and other Noob Questions.

Jake here

Postby DiscoSoup » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi. My name is Jake. I have been a fan of Seventh Sea since it came out. I'm looking forward to playing. I live on the West coast and can't make the regular cons so I hope to play somewhere in Portland or on a forum - based game.
DiscoSoup

Re: Jake here

Postby salamanca » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:24 pm

welcome aboard Jake. glad to see you drop by. sorry we had a hassle getting you logged in before now. feel free to hang out ask questions and enjoy the scenery.

and maybe we can start looking for expansion west sometime.

-sal
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:13 pm

DiscoSoup wrote: I hope to play somewhere in Portland or on a forum - based game.

The comment here was inappropriate for the venue and has been deleted. I apologize.
Last edited by Sister Sonya on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:09 am

Well, in my defense, the 'bomb' I dropped was, "if you're going to be talking out in public like this, someone is sure to overhear what you said." I also said that if you wanted to have conversations out of the public domain, you'd need to start a thread stating that you are speaking privately among yourselves. And if I recall correctly, you were having your conversation in the middle of the church...

But I am still adamant that this is a campaign for face to face interaction.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:35 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote: But I am still adamant that this is a campaign for face to face interaction.

I understand.

D&D didn't have lots of RP competition in the late 70's and TSR was everywhere. RP genres expanded, got simpler, more complicated, and computer assisted. The arrival of the Internet has scattered hobbies in general.

Players nowadays have lots of options. It's not so easy to retain players once you attract them.
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:44 pm

Mike, RPGs are for interaction in person. Waiting for others to post, respond or interact drags things to the pace of the least active player. If you like that, that's your business. As for being active all day everyday, I won't stop you from creating and running a game like that if you want but it will NOT be this one. I have a life. That life is not entertaining you all day long. Our "few conventions a year" format is retaining numbers at a rate that exceeds our available space so something must be working just fine. (still no idea why anybody would think posting "in character" would fail to have repercussions)
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:27 pm

salamanca wrote: I have a life. That life is not entertaining you all day long.

Dave, on-line games can be self-moderated, with or without a die-roller.
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:59 pm

then go start one. not our jobs to do that for you.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:12 pm

<"In Character"
Is your hero looking to reach out to their fellows? Here's the place to do it.>

We tried to do so. :)
Sister Sonya

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:52 am

Mike, lets turn the thought around for a moment.

Lets say that Mark and Dave let you continue to do as you were on the chat page. Then you get involved in whatever you are doing in the game, which is supposed to be on the same timeline that we play the cons on.
So you all get yourself involved in a chase hunting down flying bats, while the rest of us would be waltzing our way around Santino. You can't be in both places at once, there has to be a defining time line. Mark and Dave have no way/time of monitoring the chat page and any off shoot adventure you create for yourself. They could read it, sure, cause you some problems with some of the stuff you post, but there is a plot to HOA and there is a time line to get it done, and if your character is off chasing someone/something else, you can't be helping us in our endeavors.

You could say that what is posted in the chat has nothing to do with the time of when we are at cons, but I would disagree, in the fact that if you write your character up so busy doing stuff, there is no time for her/him to do what we play at the cons, because the character can not be in two places at once, unless some unforeseen magical spell happened to split them into two or more beings to be in two or more places at once.

If you left the last post before a con in limbo, like in a chase to catch a winged mouse, you can't just leave it and say "Opps, got to change my point of view, as I now must chase after the Black Bishop with everyone else", because then the story you are writing in the chat becomes nothing but a bunch of nonsensical words, because you did not keep up your end of it true, and that is the same as when you are at the cons.

Things must stay true to time, and the real reason for the chat area was to contact other players in game, to talk about what happened in the cons, and maybe plan what you can do together in the next con, should you end up on the table together: minor plannings, not a true blown out PBP.
Just remember when you plan with the other player, to post that you are talking in private, so that you can talk in private, so Mark and Dave or any of the other of us GM's can't use the info against you.
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Sister Sonya » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:20 pm

Laura! Thanks for stepping in.

Mark has ruled about the IC thread, and that he wishes the campaign to remain table-top. That's his call.

HoA could be much more. But, I can appreciate the difficulties.

Perhaps in the next campaign, in six years.
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:49 am

no. not in the next campaign. we all have better things to do than monitoring your constant activity and are not going to deal with needs to panic adjust campaign adventures because somebody posted some horrible action a few days before an event.

the threads for in character chat are on the page, they are open. nobody uses them because nobody appears to want to use them to make plans or arrangements to do things. those sections will continue to sit there IF you want to use them.

But we will be using what you do in them against you where applicable and we will potentially force a player to use their personal agenda time to deal with fallout despite their wishes to do other things if we need to do so. If you don't mind that happening, go post in the appropriate threads and stop flooding some participants "Hi, glad to be here thread" with your off topic issues.
salamanca

Postby DiscoSoup » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:59 pm

Did I miss something here or offend anyone?
DiscoSoup

Postby salamanca » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:49 pm

no, no no! not at all. somebody else went off, you are just fine.
salamanca

Postby DiscoSoup » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Okay, I hadn't actually checked this thread in a while.
DiscoSoup

Return to Welcome