*Fingers Crossed* Countdown to GenCon 2022

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

Re: *Fingers Crossed* Countdown to GenCon 2022

Postby kenderleech » Mon May 16, 2022 9:30 pm

I dont see anything wrong there.
kenderleech

Postby MacShidhe » Tue May 17, 2022 7:22 am

salamanca wrote:They think your El Vago is a Toreador.

What else would he be?
MacShidhe

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 24, 2022 11:50 am

Don't know that anyone knows/cares, but there are a mere 21 tickets left. Get em while they're still available!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:56 am

Fair Warning to HoA players at GenCon...

Episode 19 claimed the lives of a 27 player characters during the sessions we ran at Origins. It is a very rough adventure where bad things can get worse fast if you do not act.

So be brave, be bold and be decisive.

- Sal. (Who is mourning the loss of his own PC)
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:07 pm

What's that? 35 days left until GenCon??? YEPPERS! THAT'S ALL!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:54 pm

Three weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:59 am

Exactly one week from today I will be just about half way to GenCon!!!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:21 pm

Only if you stop driving for the whole day.

I would recommend pushing on and getting closer.

In 5 days, i will send you an awesome idea and make you rewrite everything to fit it.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:40 pm

salamanca wrote:In 5 days, i will send you an awesome idea and make you rewrite everything to fit it.

I have no doubt about the veracity of this statement.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:40 am

And here it is the day before leaving! I am so nervous/excited to be back! Hope you all are gearing up for a great con!

Just a reminder, you have to get a wristband before you can get your badges/tickets. Wristband says you've showed them your vaccination paperwork. They have a HUGE reminder everywhere that has to be done first. PLEASE don't leave it until last minute.

See you all soon!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:16 pm

Enjoy your games, everybody.

Remember that everything you hate about the PA is my fault this year.

And also the horrible twist in the 2 new adventures. Those were me.

Enjoy your tamales (or whatever your character eats while surfing on cows)
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:53 pm

I am officially on vacation!!!

Cannot wait to see you all at GenCon!
CaitlinCallahan

Postby salamanca » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:44 am

It's 5:43 am and i am officially at work for no reason at this hour.

Go ask the vendors if they sell dice lubricants. See if we can start something.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:37 pm

Just talked to Mark, he is just a bit north of Columbus and closing in.

Fair warning to the state of Indiana, now would be the tine to close your borders.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:54 pm

Pssst....

I don't want to alarm anyone but it's time for the 6th- 9th best days in gaming.

You all go have some good fun and make some memories.
salamanca

Postby daundelyon » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:30 pm

So some genius decided that the vaccine bands are to be obtained separately from badges. The line is insane and wrapped through the building. The actual room is Sagamore Ballroom 7.
"He used the Force!"
"Yeah, mass times acceleration!"
daundelyon

Postby salamanca » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:23 pm

I know we are closing in on that time you all hate.

Have safe travels home.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:29 pm

salamanca wrote:I know we are closing in on that time you all hate.

That time is now. And I hate it. I miss everyone already, and mark only left my driveway five minutes ago. We need to find that billion dollar mega millions that hasnt been claimed yet, and build ourselves a private community.
kenderleech

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:43 pm

So, recovered (somewhat and at least physically) from my first GenCon in 3 years. I think I am ready to try my Good, Bad, Mixed, review. Here Goes!

GOOD!
I could go on about our ticket returns and how we filled out every slot and got ourselves an over 100% return rate. But to be honest, I don't really care (yea, I said it). Instead I'd like to talk about that thing I tend to sluff over every year...

Old Friends - You all walked into that room (JW 308 for those of you who can only live vicariously) like you'd been saving your last action for three years! The floodgates of welcome were set free and it was like the past three years had just disappeared. You all sat right down and resumed playing like you'd been practicing all this time. It was awe inspiring

New Folks - Lots of new folks showed up, including a family that bought out a whole table just to play!

Speaking of - Ken had not one, but two different newbies send me emails already! (one of whom bought up all the books so they can start running it for their home game!)

JW 308 - Far enough down the hall that only folks coming to see us ventured down and close enough we could just use the second bank of elevators to arrive right next to it!

REFRIGERATORS - Who woulda thunk it?!?! For those not there, for reasons we still aren't certain of, we had not one, but two different refrigerators IN THE ROOM!!! We could keep things cold, preserve stuff and generally abused the privilege the whole con!

PAs - I mean, they're always fun, but these were especially fun, I mean Fun fun. FUN Fun fun!!!

Episode 20 - Specifically the end, it worked out exactly like I hoped it would!!!

Marriage - We had not one, but two couples who let me know they will, sooner or later, get married! Love is a truly wonderful thing and it makes me super happy!!!

BAD
Overall, not too much to report. Most of the bad were more irritating than horrible (and that caused me, in most cases, to switch it from BAD to MIXED).

Gluten Free - I itched a lot, I mean a Lot lot. So finding stuff that was safe was a bit problematic (though it may have more to do with my not having a whole lot of familiarity with what I can/can't eat than anything else). But it itched, so I am irritated.

Rain - (but not for the reason you think). It kept promising a deluge all week long. Promises, promises, promises. We got a few sprinkles in the end but nothing that even put a dent in the heat.

Sunday - Well lets see... went to deliver my last lot of tickets only to find they closed the JW GM booth WAY early (and after I bought them coffee too, damnit!) so I had to trudge all the way over to the far side of the Convention Center. On the way back I stopped by the dealers hall to find the game I had been mulling over all con only to find it had sold out :( . Later, Ken offered to drive us over to drop off stuff at the hotel before going to dinner and then back to my car. About half way to food I remembered I'd left my car keys back in the hotel so Ken had to drive me all the way back before again returning me to his house (after I'd done nearly the same thing in reverse on Tues). THEN it was Sunday so I had to say goodbye to friends who mean the world to me knowing I might not see some of them again for a year. And finally, when I finally did get back to the hotel I realized I forgot to tell Don we had already eaten and he had been waiting for us...

MIXED
Few mixed this year, but more intensively mixed than previous years.

Wristbands - I know this was a gigantic P.I.T.A. for most folks, but it was the first year they're doing this so I give them mostly a pass for somehow missing the fact that over 75,000 people would need to get the wristbands separate from getting their badges, tickets, etc. For Megan, Don, and I, well, we got in on Tues so we had to wait a total of maybe 10 seconds. But it solidified to me that, as long as they keep doing this, we have to come in early on Tues so we can get the wristbands then. That, in turn, makes me think others will see things the same way I do (which will exacerbate the problem, but that's for another day).

The Drive - More mixed bag than ever. I love driving out, I love hanging out with other gamers for hours talking about stupid stuff we get but no one else does. I still love the "orange drink" joke, and we even came up with a new one for this year ("It's not that funny." for those of you wondering what phrase will cause me to laugh out loud.) Heck, I even love that it's overall cheaper than flying. BUT damn am I getting old. This drive just takes it all out of me. I was exhausted when I got back and even today I am still trying to recover.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Events