Countdown to GenCon 2019

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

Re: Countdown to GenCon 2019

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:44 am

Oh my god, 3 days until I leave! And I still have adventures to write!!!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:10 pm

Hard to believe how fast this came up on me. But the crew and I will be leaving my house in a little over 32 hours. Just need to pack and that kind of thing.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:37 pm

Why do you unpack?
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:29 am

So the con funk doesn't accumulate and kill everyone. ;)
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:59 am

Lady Grace wrote:So the con funk doesn't accumulate and kill everyone. ;)

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!!

Onto GenCon news I'm just down to the wire of doing stuff then a quick sleep and off we go!!!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby cpugs » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:41 pm

Safe drive and have fun!!!
cpugs

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:48 pm

Safe drive I did not crash. Or fall asleep while driving. Day zero report, Both of my games went off I had four players and then six players so good start. Got to speak with the other leaders of the RFG, and we got a bunch of stuff Hashed out. After that it was on the Fogo de Chao and the meat coma. Only bad news I could not get my ticket for Sidheshadow’s game going to be hour and a half wait time. I think I’ll just crash it with generics and not bother to get my ticket. Day one begins tomorrow with a vengeance I’ll let you know how it goes

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:31 am

I was not lying when I said “with a vengeance.” First game in the morning six players signed up six players showed up. Second game was a little slow, found out just after we were supposed to start the four of our ticket holders had sold back their tickets leaving us with only two players. But fortunately RJ and Ken stepped up so we ran a good game (of episode 5). Evening slot is where it went really crazy. I ran for six players meanwhile Sam and Alexandria dealt with overfull tables requiring RJ to step up and run for some of his friends. So we ended up with 21 players for their three games

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:44 am

PRAISE THANOS!
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:52 am

Thanos? Did half the GenCon attendees just vanish? Because that would make the dealer room a lot more pleasant.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:31 am

Nope. we had a first timer mispronounce Theus
kenderleech

Postby kenderleech » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:29 am

See you all next year! I already miss you. Last one out please remember to turn... Oh, wait. *turns off the lights*
kenderleech

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:33 am

Ok, I've had a couple of days to recover and as a bonus did not get sick or wreck my car. So, here's my GenCon review

The Good
Enthusiastic New Players! - Normally we get a couple of folks who say, "wow, this is great I have to do this again." But I don't think we've ever gotten, "We'll be coming to Origins so we can play more and we have 6 players, can you make a day for us to come play together?" (Spoiler alert, I am not holding my breath but I figured out a way we can IF they get in contact with us to set things up beforehand).

75,000 - Last year GenCon sold out and the number was set by the local fire marshal who was concerned about having every attendee in the dealers hall at once (I've been there, there is NO way that could happen, not even if we started stacking them vertically). But with the number set, I think the crowds were well distributed, it was busy but not too overwhelming (at least for me) I am happy they aren't going up any further.

Lochmuller's Pub - FINALLY got into the rhythm of GenCon and didn't run out of food, start a limited menu, just not answer their phone, close entirely. Food is typical pub fare, but reliable and close. Happy me (even if I didn't get a wrap on Saturday).

Re-Fried Gamers - We also finally got our shit together, had a meeting with the three/four of us who are trying to keep this going, had dice and nearly full tables the whole day. While I didn't get to run my game of Fragged Empire, I did run A game of Fragged Empire (my game requires at least 7 players and we only had 4).

Christian! - I finally got to sit down at one of his games. It was so much fun I didn't even realize it wasn't really swashbuckling until after we were already finished. Oh and as an aside, while I knew that Zerstorung was overpowered, I got to play a Master, and WOW what a killing machine.

PAs - Double cudos for this highlight, not only was I ON FIRE thinking of new adventures for the players but the players themselves went above and beyond with even the simplest of adventures (for example, the player who wanted to become a legendary birdkeeper just to get his birds to crap on command, and a certain regular who wrote out his "confession" as part of his PA).

PAs, Part II - Special shout out to Deb who trundled through all my idiotic (and quite misogynistic) adventures for the final payoff. It's rare that I get to see the results of my ideas (only twice thus far in the campaign) so it's really a special treat for me when it does happen.

The New Driving Crew - Last year we had a new addition to the group that rides with me and, well, lets just say it didn't work out so well. But this year we got a replacement and everything worked out just fine.

The Bad
Lost Some Regulars? - Not positive this is actually a negative, but let me explain. I only got to see Don Gallo for a few minutes (he played in DOMINGO GIGANTE! on Sunday when I went to the dealer's hall) but the others I usually see (Russ, Kate, Mark and a few others) were all no-shows. Now I saw Russ, Kate and Mark at Origins so I am not positive they haven't just switched over, but then I saw some commenting on FB by some way old regulars from Origins that indicated they've moved on (ok maybe less "phew no HoA to deal with" and more "This OTHER game was loads of fun, can't wait to do it again!") and I had a bit of a sad.

Not Enough Time - One of the things I like best about Origins is the laid-back nature of our time there. It doesn't seem harried like GenCon does. Oddly though I spend the exact same amount of time at each. But for some reason, GenCon just seems filled with pressure.

Price Gouging - Ok I'm a princess and don't want to drive in from outlying hotels, (plus the extra time of not driving is more sleeping time for me). But the costs of ensuring I get a nearby hotel are usury. The Conrad sent me a satisfaction survey and it all came tumbling out. By far the biggest expense for me is the hotel room.

The Dealer Hall - Bigger than ever should equate to lots of neat stuff to look at, right? Not really. There wasn't a single RPG that I was interested in that I hadn't already backed on Kickstarter. Lots of the companies are using GenCon as a way to cut down shipping costs (nothing negative about that, they have lower costs, and the consumers get their products sooner, so win/win). But for me, it's just more stuff I have to try and stuff in an already overfilled van for the ride home.

Little Bit of Both
Busy, Busy, Busy - Loved the fact that every single one of our games went off, and that we were at over 100% capacity, BUT it did make for very little time to sit and chat (well until we all kind of said on Sunday, HEY lets just hang out, which was great fun).

Breakfast Monday Morning - Two years ago, the drive home crew had fun at a waitress' expense (we mentioned we were from Boston and she said, "Oh New York?" and we just thought she didn't know Boston is in MA). Later that year I had the occasion to look up Boston New York and wouldn't you know it, it's real close (within 3 hours) of the place we stopped at. So on our ride home this time we stopped in the same place and wouldn't you know it, she was there working. So we all apologized for our stupidity. She then relentlessly mocked us for the rest of our meal. It was wonderful!

Ken's Delightfully Evil Characters Idea - I loved the idea, I loved the thought of playing, AND I am still disappointed I didn't get to try it out. I am still wearing the ears as I write this...

Sunday/Monday - ALWAYS bittersweet for me. I look forward to DOMINGO GIGANTE! because I always equate those who show up with the most dedicated of our players (After all, it's Sunday, you're tired, and an extra day to get home or sleep in is always a factor). BUT when it's over, its ALL over. I decided a couple of years ago not to try and leave afterwards (I can't do an overnight drive anymore, just too much on me). So I thought that'd make Sunday better, and it does, temporarily. Then we get to the drive and I have hundreds of "it's over" moments. When we wake up early Monday morning, when we start driving, when we leave Indianapolis, when we leave Indiana, when we get to Columbus, the long and boring road, making it to Massachusetts, etc.

I think that's about it. Now gotta get back to work re-writing Sophia's Daughters.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote:
The Good

PAs, Part II - Special shout out to Deb who trundled through all my idiotic (and quite misogynistic) adventures for the final payoff. It's rare that I get to see the results of my ideas (only twice thus far in the campaign) so it's really a special treat for me when it does happen.

I thoroughly enjoyed "trundling through" the adventure! Thanks, Mark (and all the other GMs who had input into the torture...err, highly entertaining storyline). ;)
CaitlinCallahan

Postby salamanca » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:18 pm

Well, Mark and I talked last night. We know how things are going to end for several characters now.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:37 pm

oh oh! is it "and they lived happily ever after"?
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Well... Yes. We are just not saying who "they" refers to.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:15 am

Since no one said anything, Dont forget to schmooze with altamiras new mayors, Enrique Pena, Enzo Cattenia, and El Conquistador!
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Oh, Mark forgot to name names...now plans are adjusting.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:48 am

And Francois was runner up in two out of three contests.. and determined by the citizens of altamira to be marginally more useful then enrique, and slightly less irritating then enzo.
kenderleech

Previous

Return to Events