Rising Phoenix Con

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

Rising Phoenix Con

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:09 pm

I can only make it Sunday, but this is the very first con by some locals who are just hella nice! I wanted to support their convention two years ago when they first planned to run things, but then something happened... I can't really remember what...

Anyway, they are re-trying their first convention, and fortunately, I can get there, barely...

I'll have more details soon, but I wanted to talk over some ideas I have with Dave first.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: Rising Phoenix Con

Postby salamanca » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:48 pm

He's going to go and run something, what...well maybe something good, maybe something great.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:01 pm

So, everything got accepted and Dave thinks my idea is not totally crazy (or well, maybe he does but he had the good manners not to mention it to me). Anyway, details!

What: Rising Phoenix Convention 1!
When: April 22-24, 2022 (though we'll only be there the 24th)
Where: DoubleTree by Hilton
11 Beaver St, Milford, MA 01757, USA

Sunday
8am-10am
Heroes of Altamira - Trial by Fire 1 (Midgard Hall Table 3)
Heroes of Altamira - Trial by Fire 1 (Midgard Hall Table 4)

10am-Noon
Heroes of Altamira - Trial by Fire 2 (Midgard Hall Table 3)
Heroes of Altamira - Trial by Fire 2 (Midgard Hall Table 4)

1pm-3pm
Heroes of Altamira - Trial by Fire 3 (Midgard Hall Table 3)
Heroes of Altamira - Trial by Fire 3 (Midgard Hall Table 4)

3pm-5pm
Heroes of Altamira - Trial by Fire 4 (Midgard Hall Table 3)
Heroes of Altamira - Trial by Fire 4 (Midgard Hall Table 4)
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:08 pm

"What the what?" you say? Two hour episodes that have never been mention in the 10 YEARS we've been playing already???

Allow me to explain. In all this time, whenever we have newbies show up at one of the higher number events, we had two choices, don't play whatever was scheduled so they won't feel too overwhelmed by not knowing the backstories, OR run what was scheduled for the veterans who will feel shorted if we don't.

I dislike both of those options.

Also many of the newbies who show up aren't really interested in a living campaign with decades of story (I know. I call that crazy too, but what can we do?) So, I thought, what if we run a two hour intro to the rules with a bit of action divorced from the main storyline BUT with the ability to throw in some of the flavor of whichever campaign we are currently running? That way, the new folks get a taste without having to commit to the whole thing. AND since I don't want to alienate the veterans, there will be XP GIVEN OUT that you can use for the regular campaign!!!

There MIGHT even be a special new card for joining in...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:47 pm

ALRIGHTY! Tomorrow is the big day! It looks like we're nearly at capacity so Megan and I are all set to run some (abbreviated) events!!!

Remember to keep your masks on!!!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:27 pm

Not a super great turnout despite our near sell-out of tickets (in our defense, it was Sunday). That said those who did show were SUPER enthusiastic about the games, and it seems (despite no time for me to playtest the events) those that we did run came in right at the two hour mark.

Ok for those of you wondering (because I know you are) I did NOT forget the new cards...

Instead I forgot the XP sheets...

I have to hand it to the Rising Phoenix folks, they did a spectacular job with set up. I have never seen more decorations with more thought put into their design than I did at RF! Just coolness all around. And as a bonus, they have apparently learned what I did regarding how to hook players. They give out small badges at the con (1 for Attendees and another for GMs) which have a level-based system on them. You get a certain amount of XP for each game you play/run and your Attendee/GM level goes up every year. I don't even know what the other colors are, and I already want to collect them all!

Special shout out to my fellow GM, Megan who (From what I could tell sitting at the other table) had her whole table laughing maniacally. Whatever they were doing, it was working.

Also of note were our new and returning players who sat through three of the four sessions (most left after that and I could see them dragging, so we'll get 'em next year!) Lily PK (returning from her first adventure with us at TC this year!), Paul Grosser (one of, if not the very first Vestenmannjavnjar in the campaign), John Stein (who brought his usual acerbic whit), Christine Hill (who got her husband Rob Young to join us again this year), and of course Patrick Fitzgerald (who will be joining our GMs roster starting with OGC this year!!!)

Thank you all so much for sitting down for a couple of hours to listen to an old man ramble!!!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Return to Events