Countdown to GenCon 2013

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

Re: Countdown to GenCon 2013

Postby salamanca » Thu May 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Game with Dana if you can. he has interesting ideas.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby cpugs » Thu May 09, 2013 8:10 pm

I missed the rumor. What is it?
cpugs

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu May 09, 2013 8:27 pm

None of CV's event were in either Origins or GenCon's Events Lists. I pm'ed Frank about them, and it seems there's so few CV GMs going to Origins, they've just decided not to run things this year. Also they aren't sure they can get their events into GenCon (and onto the events list) before registration goes live, so they may just skip that too.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby cpugs » Fri May 10, 2013 7:11 am

It is a shame. I hope this does not mean the death of the Crimson Valor.
cpugs

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri May 10, 2013 11:34 am

Kenny mentioned them coming back strong next year, so I'm hoping it's just a glitch, but yea. Oh and he also mentioned being sad he'll miss you at Origins (but he intends on coming to GenCon so he plans to see you there).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby cpugs » Fri May 10, 2013 6:36 pm

Mark, how long is the drive to GenCon? When are you leaving and planning on returning? I have noted that the hotel space is more than 2X Columbus (almost 3X) for the Hyatt. And, I have found the equivalent of the North Market!!!!
cpugs

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri May 10, 2013 9:54 pm

it's about 3-3.5 hours longer than Origins (and via the exact same route, so we can hit Denny's), so approximately 15 hours. The only change we make is to leave about an hour earlier so we hit Colombus at 4 instead of 5 (so we can bypass rush hour traffic there)

We leave Tuesday because even though GenCon is only 4 days, unofficial games run all Wed long (most early birds get in early Tues, and the true hardcores show up Monday now). I actually run games for the KFG (Kentucky Fried Gamers) on Wed (NOTE I highly recommend checking out their games, they're always a lot of fun. For example I'm running Dread this year with a Redneck theme).

We return Sunday (actually arriving home early Mon morning) leaving directly after DOMINGO GIGANTE! (usually about 2:30-3pm)

You're right about the hotel prices, they're pretty bad (and with no end in sight).

Ok spill. I have been going to GC for over a decade now (and only missed one of the GCs since its been in Indianapolis) and I have never seen an equivalent to North Market. That is, unless you're refering to the Saturday Market?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby cpugs » Sat May 11, 2013 8:16 am

cpugs

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat May 11, 2013 10:40 am

yup that's the one I was thinking of. Problem is, from the Marriott (where all our games are) its three quarters of a mile away (around 15-20 minute walk). Not the kind of place you can drop by between games either.
For perspective, take a look at this map
http://www.visitindy.com/web_files/map/DTHotelMap_c031510.pdf
The Marriott where we'll be playing is just north of the Indiana Convention Center (my hotel is at the Marriott Place Indianapolis, that odd shaped one next to White River State Park). The City Market is straight east of Monument Circle (the only circle on the map, other than the Compass Rose of course). Basically opposite sides of the map

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby cpugs » Sat May 11, 2013 2:15 pm

Mark, the map is how I found the Market. I have some friends who live in Indy who said it would be a disservice not to eat there.

You are right about the walk, it's not doable with an hour in between games. Two, absolutely....
cpugs

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat May 11, 2013 3:11 pm

cpugs wrote:Mark, the map is how I found the Market. I have some friends who live in Indy who said it would be a disservice not to eat there.

Ah. Well in that case lemme also add The Rathskeller, a German Restaurant about 5 more blocks away it's on Mass. Ave, that diagonal street NE of the market. Its located just off the map. When we get a little closer to the date (and all of you have your events) we should see if we can schedule it in.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Sat May 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Know whats funny? Ive lived in indy for 7 years now, and still havent eaten any of those places.
kenderleech

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat May 11, 2013 7:18 pm

kenderleech wrote:Know whats funny? Ive lived in indy for 7 years now, and still havent eaten any of those places.

Well I aim ta fix that Ken, you were included in the "We" in my comment about Rathskeller.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Sat May 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Righto.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Sat May 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Just remember this Ken, once you eat with us, you are in for life.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Sun May 12, 2013 4:33 am

remind me to skip the pomengranates then. I dont want to go back to the northeast for a couple months every year.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Sun May 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Just a couple of weekends.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu May 16, 2013 7:44 am

Just a reminder, Event Registration begins this Sunday at noon Eastern. I will occasionally check in from the sidelines to give a ticket count, but I will not be playing any games this year (given the lack of CV I want to make sure we have enough GMs on hand)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Thu May 16, 2013 11:17 am

As long as i can get into a 5 and a 6, im good, thats all i plan on playing.
Of course, ill be at work till well after noon, so save me a seat mark
kenderleech

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu May 16, 2013 11:36 am

GMs get the first crack at the two extra slots unless we have so much overflow that we need to run another table. But that shouldn't be an issue here since Laura can take care of that (and will have already played 5&6 at Origins).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu May 16, 2013 3:47 pm

Forgot to add 90 days until GenCon!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Sister Sonya » Sat May 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Surprise, surprise! There are CV Events listed for Gen Con.
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat May 18, 2013 11:39 pm

Sister Sonya wrote:Surprise, surprise! There are CV Events listed for Gen Con.

And not a moment too soon. GC Event Registration starts tomorrow at 12 noon EST.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby cpugs » Sun May 19, 2013 10:42 am

So I have not done a Gen Con registration since Origins/Gen Con convention. Any suggestions???
cpugs

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun May 19, 2013 11:02 am

You have a badge, just log in and make a wish list
(you do that by searching the events list for what you want, clicking on that one, requesting a ticket (or more if you have friends/want an extra) then clicking "Add Selected Events to Wish List" on the lower right hand side.

Put your wish list events in order from most wanted to least wanted, then, in an hour be on the wish list page (you get there by going to the drop down menu under your name and clicking "My Wish List"). Once the timer hits 0 and the "Submit Wish List for Processing" button becomes active, click it. That will send your wish list in the proper order into the system. You will have to wait, but don't have to refresh (I don't believe) and eventually your list will be processed. Then VOILA you have events.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Events