Countdown to Origins 2014

Want to know where Heroes of Altamira is playing next or want to beg someone to bring HoA to your own local con? Look no further.

Re: Countdown to Origins 2014

Postby salamanca » Thu May 22, 2014 12:30 pm

Do you think it's time?. I think it's time. ORIGIIIIIIIINNNNNNSSSSsssss!!!!
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby smafdi » Thu May 22, 2014 1:41 pm

On that note, all aboard the HYPE TRAIN!!
smafdi

Postby cpugs » Thu May 22, 2014 6:07 pm

I was waiting for that....
cpugs

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri May 23, 2014 8:28 am

Ok looking back though the Countdown to Origins... threads of yesteryear, I noticed that this year's has just reached the length of the 2012 thread, which is the shortest of our Countdown to Origins... threads. COME ON we can do better than that! Last year we got to 11 pages! Lets get to babbling incoherently on this thread!
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri May 23, 2014 8:40 am

Alright now onto important things!

StePHen ;) you mentioned an offer to drop by for dinner on Tues. I've been talking to Laura and thought maybe we could drop in on our way down (before we go drop off our stuff at the hotel). We'll be driving right by you (well relatively) since we come in via 71. We usually get there around 5ish. Is that too early?

Second and more importantly! I found a time to go to the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum. I have an 8am game on Wed and need to be in the area for Laura to start running Ep 3. (at 1pm) but as soon as that's done I am free until 7pm (when I run Ep. 5). The Museum is only open from 1-5 so that should be perfect! There is no cost for the exhibit and the Museum is free. Anyone wanting to join me, just lemme know! I will be bringing the van so I have room for up to 7 (though 6 is probably more accurate given none of us weigh less than 60lbs).
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby smafdi » Fri May 23, 2014 11:25 am

5pm is fine, I always take the day before and after origins off just to prep and to decompress before the reality of work sets back in. Of course this is an open invitation to anyone who is coming just let me know if you are coming so I know what to expect.

As for padding the thread, um.... looking forward to origins ofc gonna get my 7th sea on, and this year we've got 2 neiphews coming for all days and 1 more coming for 1 day. Let's see if they want to play. It is a possiblity but either way should be fun. Also gonna try to get more out of my board room ribbon this year. Hopefully they open it earlier on wednesday than last year but i doubt it. :( ramble ramble
smafdi

Postby salamanca » Fri May 23, 2014 8:05 pm

Episode 3 is running for the last time AND it's my favorite to run. Unless Laura is dead set on running it, I volunteer to handle it. As long as you are back in time for paperwork, I got that. Wed. 7pm I signed up for Aerodrome a WW1 biplane game that is awesome. Very cool guys run that and they are gentlemen. Anybody wants in, sign up. (this is the only official game I am playing). Also, any HOA event that does not say episode 7 or 8 I am probably going to end up running those and I will happily take on the nephews space willing. (and if it's not, maybe we can bribe Ken or Laura into running that and i'll run a session on the side). Now on the topic of boardgames... I'll bring takenoko. And if I find some free time i'll play anything else.
salamanca

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Sat May 24, 2014 7:44 am

If you want to run Episode 3, Dave, it's all yours. Wasn't sure when you were going to get there this year, and its the first one running. I might even sit in, if it's ok (since I've already played it), and not sold out, to actually be able to sit in a game you run for once, as I rarely get too. :D
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat May 24, 2014 4:01 pm

smafdi wrote:all aboard the HYPE TRAIN!!

WOOT! WOOT!
17 Days left until we start our pilgrimage!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon May 26, 2014 4:07 pm

15 Days until we head to Origins!!!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon May 26, 2014 4:31 pm

I forgot to add my schedule.

I've (like every year) mostly filled up my schedule with running games. But I did have a chance to get to play two games this year. They are:

6004 The Game: A Fool's Council (7th Sea, Matinee Adventures, Ed Rollins) - Wed 8am-12noon
and
6979 Of Making Many Books There is No End (Call of Cthulhu, Bill Nichols) - Saturday 6pm-10pm

So what about the rest of you?

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Mon May 26, 2014 4:40 pm

I was planning on doing a lot of lurking. Might bring some 40k stuff with me too.
kenderleech

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon May 26, 2014 4:57 pm

Cool Ken!

NOTE: I updated the events list with the number of tickets left in each game. (It's on page 6)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Mon May 26, 2014 5:14 pm

Ok, because Ken is new to the con... Anything with Matinee adventures is worth playing and recommended. JASON, ED, DEAN, and TOM are great guys and run awesome stuff. AKIRA BARNES is also a great GM but runs odd stuff. If you do anime style games, his ninja elementary school game rocks. IF there is a ticket left in the minis section for anything with Alex or Lisa Ford, they are pals and homebrew cool games for kids and grown ups. Now, my favorite minis wargame at Origins is AERODROME. It's WW1 biplane combat. One plane per player 1/72 scale on telescoping antennaes. And their regulars are the best gentlemen at the con. I am playing that wed. Night. At 7 I think. (they provide everything). That is my only game. Rest of the weekend I am on deck to run.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Mon May 26, 2014 6:11 pm

So, i go and try to look at the origins website to look at events... and it seems that for whatever reason, i can not view ANYTHING off the drop down menu. no listing of events, no artist list, no guest list, nothing. So appearantly, origins doesnt want me to spend money.

edit; ok, i figured it out. that has to be the most backwords way of doing a thing ever.

So which games am i responsible for running?

edit 2: Ugh. I guess im not doing any 40k events at origins. the only use your own army event not full up is the one that will take 12-14 hours to do.
kenderleech

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon May 26, 2014 8:14 pm

Well Ken, if there is anything you wanted to play at GenCon but couldn't get into it for whatever reason, it will most probably be run here too.

As for what games you're responsible for. Just show up at the beginning of a session (whenever you can, and don't kill yourself to be there all the time) in case we need to run an overflow event. Then show up Sunday for DOMINGO GIGANTE! in case we have enough to run 4 tables and we'll call it good!

As for more news, I just saw this on FB

1888724_10204120245752257_5596661656044397169_n.jpg

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby kenderleech » Mon May 26, 2014 8:26 pm

I could put up a sign "will run episode 2 for food" whaddya think?
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Mon May 26, 2014 11:19 pm

Why not, I ran episode 2 for food last thursday. Worked out fine. And if you want to game, sign up for stuff. I don't mind doing the heavy lifting at Origins. Unless you buy a lot of lead minis...too much heavy lifting there. You may also want to peek at the auction. Usually some good deals there on weird stuff.
salamanca

Postby smafdi » Tue May 27, 2014 7:13 am

On the board game front, takenoko sounds great, finally get a chance to play it. I can bring with me a slew of stuff, i have the japanese themed love letter, (dave's version is superior) just picked up dc deck building game and it's easy enough to teach and i am enjoying it despite the simpleness, hmm what other small "filler" games can i bring..... can always bring my sentinels box if people wanna try to make time for a game of that. Also can bring flash point and elder sign, both are quickish to play and easy to learn.
smafdi

Postby salamanca » Tue May 27, 2014 12:18 pm

Just remember, the loser has to go to the dealer room and ask Lou Zocchi to explain how he invented polyhedral dice. (which at least guarentees you will be in the convention hall for Origins 2015)
salamanca

Postby JeffXandra » Tue May 27, 2014 1:39 pm

Wow, so I spent the weekend looking for my character, Bron Olafson,and I'll finally be returning to Altamira after playing Parts 1 & 2 way back in 2011(I think). I've got 3-6 on my calendar for the con and the Interactive. However, since I've been out of touch, I've no idea what might be a good idea for that portion. Any suggestions?
JeffXandra

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 27, 2014 2:09 pm

JeffXandra wrote:Wow, so I spent the weekend looking for my character, Bron Olafson,and I'll finally be returning to Altamira after playing Parts 1 & 2 way back in 2011(I think). I've got 3-6 on my calendar for the con and the Interactive. However, since I've been out of touch, I've no idea what might be a good idea for that portion. Any suggestions?

Silvio knows how you feel ;)

But seriously, welcome back Jeff! Well, if you have any earned Backgrounds from Episodes 1 or 2 (there's really only one but you may have earned it) or if you earn any new backgrounds from Episodes 3-6 (There are a total of 7 different backgrounds you can earn in those adventures), you may want to play them out (one of them, if you earn it, will require you to play that first).

Barring that, there are duels to be fought, gossip to be learned, or anything you can imagine. Try to stump me, it'll be fun!

Let me also add that from what I'm reading you haven't signed up for the LARP. We are running our first LARP at Origins. It is tied to the campaign and you can even play your own character!

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Tue May 27, 2014 5:32 pm

Sigh, just when I thought it was done...

Yes, Bron will be available if you buy a ticket for the LARP. I have to go back in and make some edits anyhow as I misread something between drafts of stuff Mark had sent me. (And no, I won't tell you all what. you will never even notice)
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Tue May 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Ok Jeff, Bron is officially stated up for the Larp if you opt to participate.
salamanca

Postby smafdi » Wed May 28, 2014 7:34 am

Your work is never done!
On a side note was working with amanda on a char for our home game last night and was going through the backgrounds with her, and as we were working out potential ideas for backgrounds i kept getting ideas for how to work that into the overall plot i wanna go with..... WHAT HAVE YOU PEOPLE DONE TO ME!?!?!
smafdi

PreviousNext

Return to Events