On the Subject of Drama Dice

Want to know what the writer was thinking? Don't understand the significance of a scene? Or maybe you just want to comment on your experience (for good or bad). This is the place.

On the Subject of Drama Dice

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:53 am

Heya Everyone,
Been having a think about Drama Dice and how they affect the game, and I've come to a decision. In general the DD you earn in gameplay will not carry over to the next game. I know, you're saying, but I got a whole bunch. That's my worry. People will hoard them for the disasterous "Big Bad" and that ends up re-creating the problem my "give out lots of DD during session" rule was created to solve. In addition, it makes "The Vow" that R&C Knights pay HP for basically useless.

I want you to use the DD to do cool stuff in the moment not hoard them for a rainy day (that's what your xp-generating DD are for). I want you all to try and do crazy things, roleplay larger than life heroes, and build a name for yourselves.

So now you're saying, Hey, you said "In general" what do you mean by that? You may 'spend' those earned DD by saving up for some of the in game mechanics if you are so inclined. "The Vow" is one example, a Twisted Blade might be another (though good luck finding a fate witch to take care of the problem for you, heh, heh, heh).

As usual, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: On the Subject of Drama Dice

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:06 am

Well, You could always bring in Rebecca as an NPC, since she's just wandering around in Eisen right now (I believe, if I remember correctly, where we last left her). Wouldn't take her too long to get to Altamira from there. ;)
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:08 am

No, no home game characters (especially not Master (or is that Mistress) Level Fate Witches)

Mark
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:22 pm

There are at least 2 active fate witches in the campaign. They might not be able to do it yet but give them time. Also, if you want to blame someone for this rule, it's my fault. In the 2 sessionf I officially played, I racked up 8 DD on top of my starting pair. (if we were counting my sitting in on the pick-up session it would be 12). My dice were rolling well and I never needed them. It also could have been more but I was not working excessively to earn them.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Klcp » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Geze Sal, why you gotta ruin everyone's fun? :P
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby salamanca » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:21 pm

I break games so other people don't have to. It's one of my many "gifts" as a player. I also break GMs and plots as a hobby.
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:27 pm

That's closer to our "house rules" for DD, and it really made a difference in how they were used.

And I like your hobbies, Sal. ;)
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:47 pm

CaitlinCallahan wrote:That's closer to our "house rules" for DD, and it really made a difference in how they were used.
I'm curious, for better or worse?

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:26 pm

Floyd, Dana, Patrick and myself all dumped the carry over post earning XP pretty early on. Some of us experimented with granting XP for everything, some of us granted XP for earned but not starting DD and we all used what we are doing here for at least a campaign. I seem to recall we all liked removing the DD from the XP because it got the players to put them back into play. My variation involved allowing a player to earn XP up to the starting DD number but I did not care if the starting DD were spent and earned DD ended up being converted (in case a player NEEDED to spend one early before earning any extra).
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:59 pm

Black Jack Rackham wrote: I'm curious, for better or worse?

Mark

Definitely better - there were instances where dice literally flew back and forth across the table. And it really helped curb any latent munchkin tendencies lurking under the surface of our players.
CaitlinCallahan

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:00 pm

salamanca wrote:My variation involved allowing a player to earn XP up to the starting DD number but I did not care if the starting DD were spent and earned DD ended up being converted (in case a player NEEDED to spend one early before earning any extra).

I like the sound of that, as well. Did it work out for you?
CaitlinCallahan

Postby salamanca » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:20 pm

It kept the players happy and again fueled the use of dice. (up to a certain point). Players that were used to my play style learned what they needed to do to earn dice (in terms of extra description for attacks, creative ideas, witty comments, etc.) then began to trust that spending dice would lead to my getting free in handing them out. They would stop worrying about keeping dice for XP until the end of a session. It took me twice as long to train them to understand some sessions would cliffhanger and carry over DD and others would end with a resolution and clear dice while granting XP (normally a "hard point" resolution) but once they got the hang of it, they seemed to know before I did if they needed to worry about saving DD for XP. In a convention campaign, you will be resolving XP every session so it would be a no brainer.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:37 pm

In an unrelated point on the dice. DD will never be evenly balanced for all players. It would defeat their purpose. Quiet types just are not going to amass the same number of chances to earn one. That does not mean shy players will never earn them. Even if you only speak up 3 times, if those 3 times are funny, solve a problem or carry the scene you could be looking at 3 DD. Loud front and center players also dilute their DD chances as quantity rarely matches quality. I'm (so far) picking mine up in HOA with witty inter player banter, descriptive creativity on actions everyone is taking and silly conversational interaction with the NPC cast. Except for one scene in game 2 I have not looked to grab spotlight if I can avoid it. Having playtested and edited the adventures, it's unfair to the rest of you. That was a big part in picking a kid to play. It keeps me from taking charge and let's me play support. I took over a game with matinee adventures and ended up with about 18 DD but Jason is overly generous with them. My point in all this is pick your spots, speak up, create, describe, have fun and you will see DD pile up. Use them with creativity and you will see them come back.
salamanca

Postby Klcp » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:45 am

Although, it should be noted that DD shouldn't be as easy to get as Facebook "like"s.
"You can't trust the weather and you can't trust the sea. Who can you trust, my friend if you can't trust me?"
Klcp

Postby salamanca » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:15 am

Nothing is as easy as facebook likes.
salamanca

Postby Klcp » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:37 pm

Unless you're Dave Reeves and playing in a game run by Mark...
Klcp

Postby salamanca » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:36 am

Naw, Patrick is much easier to earn dice from. And I hand them out like a pushover grandma loading the tykes up on sugar before they go home.
salamanca

Postby Klcp » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:18 pm

See, I haven't met Patrick. -shrug-
Klcp

Postby Lady Grace » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:19 pm

salamanca wrote:Naw, Patrick is much easier to earn dice from. And I hand them out like a pushover grandma loading the tykes up on sugar before they go home.

Of course you do...how else does one survive getting a pistol unloaded in them after they've been corps-a-corpsed? :oops: :shock:
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Contemplating the possible outcomes of Kara meeting Patrick... Yep, itMs better we keep it the way it is. For your own good.
salamanca

Postby Klcp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:53 pm

Howcome?
Klcp

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:33 pm

salamanca wrote:Naw, Patrick is much easier to earn dice from. And I hand them out like a pushover grandma loading the tykes up on sugar before they go home.

Gotta agree with you about Patrick. As to how easily you give them out, I'm not sure I remember what that's like - been too long since you've been my GM. :P
CaitlinCallahan

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:36 pm

And I would say that Floyd gives them out fairly easily to encourage "heroic moments". (Though oftentimes, the easiest way to earn them from him is to pick on me - in or out of character.) :D
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Klcp » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:02 pm

Caitlin, were you in the Sunday pickup game? Or have I not met you yet?
Klcp

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:13 pm

CaitlinCallahan is/was the shorter of the two twin Inishwomen (both of whom were at the game Sun morn). She's the one with long hair instead of short red hair.

Mark

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Next

Return to Writing Feedback