Writing Progress

Want to know what the writer was thinking? Don't understand the significance of a scene? Or maybe you just want to comment on your experience (for good or bad). This is the place.

Re: Writing Progress

Postby salamanca » Mon May 27, 2013 10:09 pm

Added some comedy beats to a couple of characters and a twist that is just entirely not me that some of you will love (but may never see depending on how the first half plays out).
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue May 28, 2013 10:08 pm

Some comedy beats? SOME? The thing is chock full of old music references and terrible puns ;)
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Tue May 28, 2013 10:41 pm

Yeah, but those are just to entertain the GM. None of that is actually in the part the players hear. (ok, most of that is not what the players hear).
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:15 pm

Accidentally started thinking about Ep 10 and jotting some notes down. Nothing definitive, just ideas to refer back to when I get to it for real.
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:32 pm

Jotting went nowhere, and I do mean nowhere. Been sitting here grinding my wheels for a couple of days and getting nothing accomplished. I'd really like to get some more writing done before I leave but I think this is isn't going to be one of those inspirational times (too much else on my mind).

Ah well, really looking forward to Origins, running games, and meeting old (and new) friends!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Started back into writing by outlining and writing an entirely new Scene 1 for Ep 7. I think this may be what we were missing.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:18 am

Wrote entirely new Act 1, Scenes I and II, fixed the new Scene III. In Act 2, adjusted Scene I to fit the new beginning and mashed Scenes II and III into one scene now. Currently working on the new Act 2, Scene III.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:42 pm

Drag raced through Act 2 and most of Act 3. Now working on the final scene re-write and it should be ready for a re-read from my playtesters.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:30 am

Finished up the re-write and now both adventures are off to playtesters (though I will still need some serious editing before they're ready for play). So now I'm gonna take a break from HoA and get to work on the two adventures I have due at GenCon. I need to make characters and flesh out my Dread game and I still need to make characters (and maybe create a powerpoint display) for my Call of Cthulhu game.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:51 pm

Dread is finished, but given that sign ups have been live since Sat. and not a single person has signed up, I may have worked on the wrong one. As for HoA, Dave and I have been talking Ep. 10, and it's looking promising.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:17 am

So, here I thought I was all set for GenCon, but I just took a look at the PA adventure and realized something bad. While it is in outline form (as are all the PAs) its a bit rougher than I'd like (I'm certain I could run it without a problem, but then I know a lot more about it than is written on paper). So I think I'm going to need to do a bit of filling out before the 13th.

As for the rest of the stuff, everything else is ready to go!

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca Iavelli » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:50 am

Like, I'm real worried about that Mark. You'll have it done in no time, lol. Definately before Gen Con gets here as you have almost 2 weeks. Yeah, I know you have other things you have to do, like your family vacation, but you'll have it done. I know you. :P Have a good vacation and see you soon!
Think! - Its not Illegal yet.
Rebecca Iavelli

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Came up with a better first scene still need to flesh it all out though. I'll have 6 days to get it finished once I'm back.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:20 pm

PA adventure is all done and waiting for proofreading (then it goes on to Ken/Laura so they can be ready to run it next Saturday).

Making some preliminary notes for one of next year's PAs (as I may need to write 3 this year around)...

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:15 pm

I will still handle the Origins PA for you. Plus LARP. I'm thinking we need an adventure centering around some of the extras we have been tossing around the last couple of years in these things. (Pablo, Castellano, etc)

And the PA is proofread. one or two minor changes and it's set to go.
salamanca

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:40 pm

That's in addition to the ones you're writing (the OGC crew is now asking/begging for their own PA, and there are enough of them to pull it off)

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:29 pm

You see this Mike? You are going to have to attend ANOTHER con next year.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:01 am

I've never been to New Hampshire!
Sister Sonya

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:01 pm

Back to writing, I've finished the outline for Ep 9, and should be done with the one for 10 sometime this weekend. Got the call back for the Witch Hunter adventure I proposed and the news is good, so after they show me the new format, I can get to work on it. Still waiting to hear back about Rotted Capes. And my kiddos wanted me to do something with Mouse Guard, so thus far I've come up with 4 basic ideas (one of which, while very cool, is not appropriate for the kiddos).

Re-read all my earliest adventures for the book idea I have related to it, and will get to work outlining the individual adventures sometime this upcoming week or so (probably will wait until all three kiddos are off to school!).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:24 am

Wow talk about progress. I have written at least basic outlines for 3 PAs (so at a minimum next year is already taken care of, and if I can't work a PA into OGC, part of 2015 is good too). Re-edited Ep 9's outline (parts of it weren't sitting well with me) and am much happier with it. 10 has a good beginning and a good ending, but the middle needs work.

Did lots of thinking about the book, and whether an ensemble cast of heroes can fight a single villain and have the situation be thought of as a fair fight. But I really need far more work on the individual adventures first.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Laura came over and had a yap with me this week, and by the end we'd finished up the middle of Ep 10!

So I got started on writing Ep. 9. Got the first two scenes finished, and about half way through scene 3. Woo!

I keep up this pace and I'll be done with both episodes in about 2 weeks.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:44 pm

Now half way through Act 2, Scene II.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:31 pm

Re-did Act 2, Scenes II & III (mashed them into one since they fit better that way), finished Act 3, Scene I (which was quick, quick) and now onto Act 3, Scene II. Ep. 9 should be ready for playtest here real soon.

On other news, got the go-ahead for the second Witch Hunter adventure and got the paperwork for the first one (so they'll pay me, woo!) AND got most of the outline for the first of my short stories finished (thanks to some serious help from Eric).

Really, REALLY need to get the website updates finished at some point (especially Temple, it's been languishing in the dark for too long).

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:00 am

Dave and I had a talk about Ep 9 and he did his magic with it. End result, I'm trashing most of the adventure and starting again. It's gonna be much better this way.

Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby salamanca » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Just going to apologize now for that. Please don't kill me for suggesting those extensive changes.
salamanca

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Feedback