The Rolling Stone...

The place for everything else.

The Rolling Stone...

Postby salamanca » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:29 pm

Someone is still sending a copy to my mother...

And this month, they rewrote the top 500 albums of all time.

My thoughts:

1- How the hell does Sgt. Pepper's drop from 1 to 24? That is a stupid bad shift made worse by it now being only the 3rd best Beatles album on the list.

2- an album is more than just a collection of songs. The ones they really praise have a theme, a message and/or develop the artist in a new way. So why are there any "greatest hits compilations" on this list. Sure "Legend" is a good Bob Marley listen but it is not a planned album anymore than the Elvis Sun Records recordings, Chuck Berry's "Great 28" or anything else. If they were, the top 5 would all be compilations.

3- if Nirvana's "Nevermind" is #6, Pearl Jam's "Ten" should be higher than #160. The inverse is also true.

4- The judges listen to way too much Joni Mitchell.

5- I have only read through about 175 entries so far (rage and disbelief keep sneaking in along with the desire to play some of these) and so far a certain Canadian power trio has yet to appear on a list that has 2 erykah badu entrues ahead of them. Let alone the sex pistols, frank ocean and oasis.

6- i am wondering when weird al will appear.
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Re: The Rolling Stone...

Postby salamanca » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:34 pm

1- still no clue.

2- 18 greatest hits or various artists compilations on this list. Many released decades after the performer died. All of these should be purged including Bob Marley: Legend. He has other actual albums on here.

3- Nirvana wasn't that good.

4- 4 Joni Mitchell albums. But there are more egregious issues on this list. 1 Aerosmith album and it is not Pump or Toys in the Attic. 4 of the 9 Radiohead Albums...that is a ot of Radiohead. Half of the Outkast albums ever recorded ma deer the list. ALL of the Big Star albums.

And 6, yes 6, Kanye West albums. That logs him in behind the Beatles 9, and Bob Dylan's 8 tied with Neil Young, and the Rolling Stones. (And ahead of Springsteen, Bowie, Zeppelin, and Stevie Wonder) Kanye? Really?

5- Moving Pictures is the only Rush entry at...379? Behind 2 Bjork albums?

6- no Weird Al. Also no John Mellancamp, Garth Brooks (despite several country albums on the list), Frampton comes alive missed out. There is a lot that could have better filled those greatest hits spots.
salamanca

Postby kenderleech » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:26 pm

"Here is a list of 500 albums that the record companies are paying us to boost the sales of"

Fixed the article title for you.
kenderleech

Postby salamanca » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:58 pm

Odds are more in line with..."here is a list of stuff i worked on and earn my living through".
salamanca

Postby Lady Grace » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:07 pm

Jann Wenner is a weenie.
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:49 pm

That is an indisputable assessment universally agreed upon.
salamanca

Postby salamanca » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:07 pm

Well, this year they are listing the TOP 500 SONGS OF ALL TIME.

You would think if an album made the list a song off it would be worthy...not so much.

I am willing to concede there is stuff i would not listen to or enjoy but others do on this list. Overall, i like a lot of this list but am nowhere close to agreeing on the order.

Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill is hovering down at 495.

Public Enemy's Fight the Power is number 2.

Something ain't right.

As much as i hate it, Carly Rae Jepsen's Call me Maybe probably belongs where it is near the bottom because ot may be the catchiest pop song ever. I hate it and still catch my foot tapping to it when it sneaks into a commercial.

And for Mark there will be two glaring issues
1- several U2 songs
2- Dreamweaver does not appear to be on the list unless i overlooked it.
salamanca

Return to Mundane Matters