7th Sea 2.0

The place for everything else.

7th Sea 2.0

Postby Sister Sonya » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:14 pm

Is anyone still playing/following/still interested in John Wick's 7th Sea 2.0?

At one time I thought there might be possibilities, but not after playing in four adventures at the Con at which the Rules were introduced.

Even Dana couldn't get his adventure moving along well (although he did have eleven players (I believe) at his table.
Sister Sonya

Re: 7th Sea 2.0

Postby salamanca » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:29 pm

It works fine for 3 players...maybe 4.

But you need a group that has GM experience as players because many things that are traditionally a GM task in a game get put in the players hands.

The GM just has to keep creating enough hassles in a scene to make you opt to deal with those and fail by intent. (Beyond just having the room on fire) It really is more of a let's tell a story and avoid the mechanics sort of game.

I would run it if I had the right group. I would run demos for people that were interested in the system. I do read the new releases but mostly to mine for potential material in 1st ed.

But I never needed a new edition of the game.

And for the record, groups of 10 are way too many for this system. Been there, tried doing it, made it work. But that 2 hour PA was the hardest I have ever worked at running a game in terms of effort and it was never designed to handle that. (Or so John told me an hour after I finished)
I don't mind growing old... but I hate growing up.
salamanca

Postby CaitlinCallahan » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:09 pm

salamanca wrote:And for the record, groups of 10 are way too many for this system. Been there, tried doing it, made it work. But that 2 hour PA was the hardest I have ever worked at running a game in terms of effort and it was never designed to handle that. (Or so John told me an hour after I finished)

I believe I remember that conversation. Didn't he indicate that they hadn't really playtested it (a) for groups larger than four players; and (b) for a con setting versus a home campaign?
CaitlinCallahan

Postby Lady Grace » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:27 am

"Clearly, I need to be KIDNAPPED~!" :twisted:
"You're still mad at me about that whole 'gun-pointing' thing, aren't you?" -- Fortunato Valeri

And here's where I try to be a writer...
Lady Grace

Postby salamanca » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:40 am

Yeah. John and his team oddly presumed that nobody ever plays in a group larger than 4 including the GM. Any mumber bigger than 4 players they turn into a larp (despite that style of play being terrible for so many adventure ideas).

Grace, I have seen what happens when you are kidnapped, I will not fall for that.
salamanca

Postby Sister Sonya » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:47 pm

My first exposure to this collaborative type of game was at U-Con many years with Len Balsera running a FATE scenario. And, yes, there were three players besides him.

The game was outstanding, by the way; but it took me a bit to get acclimated to that kind of pacing and mechanics.
Sister Sonya

Postby salamanca » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:14 pm

I understand where you are coming from. It is a very different style of RPG than what you cut your teeth on.

The new edition takes about 4 different intuitive leaps in how it resolves things from most games. Plyers need to volunteer to fail or take damage to accomplish other goals. GMs need to give up some things they are used to having narrative control over. Stats and skills get reinterpreted for use every round which does not work with those who are more rigid in their thinking. And it follows a "Yes,and.." style more than a "Yes, but..." game flow.

It is hell on min maxers, stats over personality players, mechanics gurus, realistic combat fans and strategy wargamers.

But it works really well for very inexperienced players who have not become ingrained in other systems.
salamanca

Return to Mundane Matters