Trent's Character: Nino d'Amore

The repository for all things "Heroes of Altamira." Post your character, discuss their latest adventures, talk to some of the Secret Societies (if you can find them).

Trent's Character: Nino d'Amore

Postby SonofScarlet » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:50 pm

Nino d'Amore

Justina Cavazza is a name no one knows. She's a nobody, completely forgotten by society save for in fond memories of former lovers and distant admirers. Once she had been one of the bioccolo, the courtesans of Fontaine, bedecked in her opalescent plumage. It was her signature. A bountiful riot of color, from her feathered fan, to a majestic crest that swept back from behind her ear. Black tresses fell in soft curls contrasted off of powdered skin. Lips a different shade each evening to match her mood, all complimented by a flourished style that was Vodacce with that brazen hint of the Montaigne style du mode. Master courtesan, she was as skilled with the stiletto (throwing knife) as in the courtly arts. Beautiful and deadly, she was everything a Vodacce should be.

But those days are behind her now, ever since she caught the eye of one of the handsome cousins of the Vestini, Tranquilo Poficiare Vestini. He was drawn to her and he gifted her with a small fortune in silks, accoutrements, and even a small palazzo. And in return she gave him a child, something Tranquilo had no interest in. Though he was willing to let her keep what he had given her, he disappeared into the web of the Vestini family never to be heard from. He was a ghost to her, and shortly thereafter she found herself bereft of her clients. It were as though the fates turned against her and nothing in her power could let her keep any of those who had formerly professed so much admiration.

So, with her infant son she retired to her palazzo. With her considerable savings and the wealth of ornate gifts she offered her child, Angelino, the chance to return them to high society. She taught him early about art, literature, manners, and philosophy. His education was as good as any of his betters, and when he had grown he was, with the last of her savings, sent to university. But unlike other students who were focused on their studies, Angelino ingratiated himself to his fellow students.

He drew many eyes among the nobility and literati. He was invited to friends' palazzo, on their family trips, and to balls and galas far above his station. There, among the elite he shined. Known for his handsome features, the mysterious young Nino, as he had begun to call himself, inspired noted sculptor Francesco Ambrosius Vaccaro, and his nude now graces the famous Pilastri, though few know he was the inspiration. He became the inamorato of Vodacce cultural elite, artists, composers, poets, and swordsmen. He considered himself successful, but his mother longed for more, and these simple connections were well and good, but it would take a more....cosmopolitan locale to truly spread her web of influence. And so, he was, without explanation, sent to Altamira where he would ply his charms among the swordsmen and women, merchants, scholars, and nobles from across Theah that resided there. Through her children, Justina Cavazza would rise not just in Vodacce, but among all the nations of Theah.

As for Angelino (Nino), he often says he's from the mainland, son of a wealthy vintner, but he speaks with the sophistication and skill of the island elite. Some say he's incognito, hiding from jealous cousins. Others say he's the bastard child of one of the Seven Princes. Still other suggest (correctly) he's a courtesan's son. It matters not, it is his mystique that is fun to speculate upon for the nobles as much as his rhetoric. Skilled in the arts, literature, and fashion he's been a compelling addition to the party circuit. Gifted with his mother's talent for the stiletto, he has inherited both her beauty and her lethality, and in return he has given her everything he can. He prays one day it will be enough.

Nino d'Amore
Brawn: 2 (8pts)
Finesse: 3 (16pts)
Wits: 4 (16pts)
Resolve: 2 (8pts)
Panache: 3 (16pts)

Background(1pt): True Identity (Angelino Poficiare Vestini) 1
Arcana(-10pts): High Priestess (Hubris: Hedonist)
Advantages (17pts): Dangerous Beauty, Language (Castillian R/W, Montaigne R/W, Vodacce R/W), Left-Handed, Patron (20g; 2/month), University

Civil Skills (8+2):
Acrobat (Balance 1, Footwork 3)
Courtesan (Dancing 3, Etiquette 3, Fashion 3, Jenny 2, Unobtrusive 2)
Courtier (Dancing 3, Etiquette 3, Fashion 3, Oratory 2)
Criminal (Gambling 1, Shadowing 1, Stealth 3)
Merchant (Jenny 2)
Performer (Acting 1, Dancing 3, Oratory 2, Singing 1)
Scholar (History 1, Mathematics 1, Philosophy 1, Research 1)
Servant (Etiquette 3, Fashion 3, Menial Tasks 1, Unobtrusive 2)
Streetwise (Socializing 1, Street Navigation 1)

Martial Skills (4+4):
Athlete (Climbing 1, Footwork 3, Sprinting 1, Throwing 1)
Knife (Attack (Knife) 1, Parry (Knife) 3, Throw (Knife) 3)
Pugilism (Attack (Pugilism) 1, Footwork 3, Jab 1)

Cappuntina (Journeyman) (40pts+32exp): Pin (Knife) 4, Throw (Knife) 4, Trick Shooting (Knife) 4, Exploit Weakness (Cappuntina) 4

Exp: 32/32
Money: 490g

Adventures
Episode 1: The Road to Altamira
Episode 2: Fear and Surprise
Episode 5: Evil Intent
Episode 6: The Balance of Profit
Episode 7: Scientific Method
Personal Agendas: GenCon '17

Experience (Spent/Total): 0/22

Cards:
- Cows are Meant to be Ridden
- Stand and Deliver
- A Little Help For My Friends
- I can Hear You Breathing

Contacts:
- Professor Eduardo Villalobos de Iñez y Lobianco (Confidante) (who owes you a Favor)
- Eladio Águila de Fernandez (Informant)
- Señorita Teressa Campos de Ramirez (Confidante)
- Captain Carmella Márquez de Nuñez (Confidante) (who owes you a favor)
- Octavia Marchesi
- Ursula Amados de Soldano
Last edited by SonofScarlet on Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 10 times in total.
SonofScarlet

Re: Trent's Character: Nino di Amore

Postby SonofScarlet » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:51 pm

Posting this here in hopes that my math is right and everything is above board.
SonofScarlet

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:08 am

Trent,
Here's my take on your numbers:
Traits: 64 (same as you)
Background: 1 (same)
Arcana: -10 (same)
Advantages: 15 (Dangerous Beauty, 3, Castillian 1, R/W 1, Montaigne 1, R/W 1, Vodacce 0, R/W 1, Left-Handed 1 (you're Vodacce), Patron 4, University 2)
Civil Skills: 6+2 (same)
Martial Skills: 4+4 (same)
Capputina: 40+32xp
Here's how I arrived at that number
25 buy the school
That gives you 2, 1, 1, 1 in your school knacks for free
You have to have each of them at 3 to use the 32 xp to bring them all to 4 (each "4" costs you 8xp so 8x4=32), so you spend 3, 6, and 6
(Because Throw (Knife) is a basic knack and you already brought it to 3 with martial skills above)
So, 25+3+6+6=40

That brings us to a grand total of 64+1-10+15+8+8+40=126
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby SonofScarlet » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:24 pm

University costs 4 for non-Castillians, not 2, but that still leaves me with a 2pt deficit. I must have lost some points in the shuffle. I've made the following changes to the sheet above:

Linguist (2) - Gives me 3 points back

Merchant (Jenny 2) (1pt)
Servant (Etiquette 3, Fashion 3, Menial Tasks 1, Unobtrusive 1) (1pt)
Acrobat (Balance 2) (1pt)

My math should now be:

Traits: 64
Background: 1
Arcana: -10
Advantages: 16 (Dangerous Beauty, 3, Castillian 1, R/W 0, Montaigne 1, R/W 0, Vodacce 0, R/W 0, Left-Handed 1, Linguist 2, Patron 4, University 4)
Civil Skills: 8+3
Martial Skills: 4+4
Capputina: 40+32xp

Total: 64+1-10+16+11+8+40=130
SonofScarlet

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:07 pm

SonofScarlet wrote:University costs 4 for non-Castillians, not 2...

Oop, yup.

SonofScarlet wrote:Linguist (2) - Gives me 3 points back

Actually only 2, there's still a minimum of 1 to buy languages, so R/W still costs you for Vodacce (I know that's a contentious rule, but in my defense I've made everyone else follow it. ;) )

(Oh and NOTE: I added a pip for Unobtrusive since you have it for both Courtesan and Servant. Then moved Jenny 2 and Unobtrusive 2 to Courtesan)

So now on to the fun part!
I read your background and I have a couple of questions before I start writing (True Identity 1).

1) What do you think is the unresolved part of your Background?

2) You mentioned the following people.
Justina Cavazza - Mom - Still alive (I presume) and living in her palazzo in or near Fontaine (again I presume).
Tranquilo Poficiare Vestini - Vestini Cousin/Dad - Still alive (I presume) and living in various places throughout Vestini lands.
Angelino Poficiare Vestini - Your real name
Francesco Ambrosius Vaccaro - Sculptor who used you as the inspiration for one of his most famous pieces.

Given that, Was I correct about all of my presumptions (at least as far as Nino is concerned)? Also, your name, was that given to you by mom or did dad have some hand in it (again, as far as Nino knows)? Finally, Francesco, does Nino know how his feelings for Nino, and does Francesco know of Nino's feelings (if there are any) about him?

3) Your story mentioned a bunch of people, fellow students, nobility, literati, etc. Any of them stand out to you? (and bonus question, any of them have names?)

4) At the end of your story you said,
Through her children, Justina Cavazza would rise not just in Vodacce, but among all the nations of Theah

Is there a sibling there? And if so, brother/sister? More than one? I presume they're younger. But your story gives me to believe your mom was alone after your father. Were these just ships that passed in the night?
smafdi wrote:STOP BEING SO DARN POPULAR GUYZ SRSLY I NEEDZ MEH GAMEZ TIHS YAER!!!

kenderleech wrote:If the cows were not meant to be ridden, why would they be so close to the chase scenes?
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Postby SonofScarlet » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:51 pm

Got rid of Linguist and dropped my Balance knack back to 1 so the points work out. :)

Black Jack Rackham wrote:So now on to the fun part!
I read your background and I have a couple of questions before I start writing (True Identity 1).

1) What do you think is the unresolved part of your Background?

So, something I'm going to put down in the Backgrounds forum are my thoughts on the overall nature of his mother's fall from grace. Ultimately, I am assuming that his mother was "cursed" by the Sorte Strega of the Vestini family by not allowing any Coin threads to connect to her. This effectively caused her to lose all of her position in Vodacce society which was purely based on money (read: patrons/clients).

Thus, to spare her children from potential further animosity of the Vestini and their fate witches, her children go by different names so that while they rise in other circles, they can't be traced back to Justina, keeping them safe from the same fate that befell, and is still befalling, her. Thus Angelino goes by Nino. If his identity were ever to get out, its possible that the Vestini bastard would suffer some other kind of ill fortune as a means of "nipping it in the bud" rather than let Angelino grow to any kind of prominence in any social circle. Whether, in the end, this is true or not is an entirely different matter.

The Vestini might not care about this far removed relation. They might care a great deal. If they do, how might they care? Who can say?

Black Jack Rackham wrote:2) You mentioned the following people.
Justina Cavazza - Mom - Still alive (I presume) and living in her palazzo in or near Fontaine (again I presume).
Tranquilo Poficiare Vestini - Vestini Cousin/Dad - Still alive (I presume) and living in various places throughout Vestini lands.
Angelino Poficiare Vestini - Your real name
Francesco Ambrosius Vaccaro - Sculptor who used you as the inspiration for one of his most famous pieces.

Given that, Was I correct about all of my presumptions (at least as far as Nino is concerned)? Also, your name, was that given to you by mom or did dad have some hand in it (again, as far as Nino knows)? Finally, Francesco, does Nino know how his feelings for Nino, and does Francesco know of Nino's feelings (if there are any) about him?

Mother is definitely still alive and yes, I assumed on a country estate within carriage ride of Fontaine. Likely a slowly crumbling ruin when Angelino left, but now with part of his "earnings" going to the estate, it might be being refurbished. Though that might not be the case as I explain below when I discuss his siblings.

As for dad, I leave that up to you. I imagined him alive and either happy to leave Justina, who he saw as a pleasant dalliance, or possibly saddened to leave her as his family closed ranks around him. Depending on the circumstances he either had a say in my true name or it was purely my mother. Or any combination thereof.

Francesco I saw as a somewhat anachronistic version of Benvenuto Cellini (who lived in the 16th not 17th century), and saw his sculpture as being reminiscent of Cellini's Narcissus. With Angelino's star-crossed I imagine he was enamored with the sculptor for a time, but was ultimately mercurial with his affection taking other lovers as whim and wallet required. Whether Francesco had any feelings for him, other than as a subject is there to be utilized, but it very well could also have been unrequited.

Black Jack Rackham wrote:3) Your story mentioned a bunch of people, fellow students, nobility, literati, etc. Any of them stand out to you? (and bonus question, any of them have names?)

And that unrequited could have been with any of those mentioned above. I based some of Angelino's background on the "artist" communities of Europe in the 17th century, composers, sculptors, painters, and writers who were influential and private enough to basically be the "Oscar Wildes" of their day. Outlandish but still accepted in high society because of their incredible talent. I hadn't thought of any other names specifically, and really used Francesco as an example of this group and how Angelino fit into them, as basically the Edie Sedgwick to their, communal, Andy Warhol.

Black Jack Rackham wrote:4) At the end of your story you said,
Through her children, Justina Cavazza would rise not just in Vodacce, but among all the nations of Theah

Is there a sibling there? And if so, brother/sister? More than one? I presume they're younger. But your story gives me to believe your mom was alone after your father. Were these just ships that passed in the night?

If anything they were ships in the night, maybe some man of meager means who loved her, but couldn't necessarily support her former lifestyle. I imagine Angelino has at least one younger sibling (I envisioned a sister). Mostly, with his funds he sends home, he knows his mother is likely shunting that money into his sister for her education at one of Fontaine's premier courtesan schools. While he plies his particular brand of charm and seduction, she'll take the more "traditional" approach, becoming one of the famed courtesans of Vodacce and slowly building her reputation.

It's possible there are other siblings as well also being groomed for such tasks. Perhaps he has three or more sisters (older and younger perhaps, with an older one from a previous dalliance that was already off to charm school when things with their mother and the Vestini's went wrong). There are plenty of ways to play it, and I'm fine with whichever way, but at least one and likely a sister.
SonofScarlet

Postby SonofScarlet » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:23 pm

Update for personal agendas; GenCon '17 & '18

[placeholder until I can fully update with details]

Nino de Amore
Finesse: 4 (16pts+20exp)

Advantages (17pts+4exp): Dangerous Beauty, Language (Castillian R/W, Montaigne R/W, Vodacce R/W), Left-Handed, Patron (80g; 2/month), University

Civil Skills (8+2+18exp):
Courtesan (Cold Read 1, Conceal 1, Dancing 3, Etiquette 3, Fashion 3, Gossip 1, Jenny 2, Poison 1, Politics 1, Seduction 2, Sincerity 1, Unobtrusive 2)
Merchant (Jenny 2)

Martial Skills (4+4):
Knife (Attack (Knife) 1, Parry (Knife) 3, Throw (Knife) 3)

Cappuntina (Journeyman) (40pts+42exp): Pin (Knife) 5, Throw (Knife) 4, Trick Shooting (Knife) 4, Exploit Weakness (Cappuntina) 4

Exp: 32/32
Money: 590g

Adventures

Episode 12: Old Friends
Episode 13: The Madman of Paseo Largo
Episode 14: A Friend in Need
Episode 15: Black Sheep
Episode 16: Fall from Grace
Personal Agendas: GenCon '18

Experience (Spent/Total): 48/66

Cards:
- Stand and Deliver
- It Can't be That Hard
- We're Practically Family...
- Leaps and Bounds
- You've Got Lying Eyes
- Legen.....dary!

Contacts:
- Professor Eduardo Villalobos de Iñez y Lobianco (Confidante) (who owes you a Favor)
- Octavia Marchesi
- Los Armanos D'Anasio
- Aurelio Ardovini (Confidante) (who owes you his life) (owes you a favor)
- Padre Bernardo Cortez de Cordoba - Connection (Confidante) (who owes you his life)
Last edited by SonofScarlet on Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SonofScarlet

Re: Trent's Character: Nino d'Amore

Postby SonofScarlet » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:26 pm

I just got my commission from Don Higgins back and I adore it! The peacock motif was just wonderful! Kudos to his work.
Attachments
Ninod'Amore1.jpg
SonofScarlet

Postby SonofScarlet » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:07 am

Update for personal agendas; GenCon '19

Nino de Amore

Advantages (17pts+4exp): Dangerous Beauty, Language (Castillian R/W, Montaigne R/W, Vodacce R/W), Left-Handed, Patron (80g; 2/month), University

Civil Skills (8+2+18exp):
Courtesan (Cold Read 1, Conceal 1, Dancing 3, Etiquette 3, Fashion 3, Gossip 1, Jenny 2, Poison 1, Politics 1, Seduction 2, Sincerity 1, Unobtrusive 2)
Merchant (Jenny 2)

Martial Skills (4+4):
Knife (Attack (Knife) 1, Parry (Knife) 3, Throw (Knife) 5)

Cappuntina (Master) (40pts+72exp): Pin (Knife) 5, Throw (Knife) 5, Trick Shooting (Knife) 5, Exploit Weakness (Cappuntina) 5

Exp: 114/126
Money: 840g

Adventures
Episode 3: Gentleman's Wager
Episode 4: A Small Favor
Episode 8: Acts of Desperation

Episode 17: One More Favor
Episode 18: Finessing the Queen
Personal Agendas: GenCon '19

Cards:
- Stand and Deliver
- It Can't be That Hard
- Leaps and Bounds
- You've Got Lying Eyes
- Legen.....dary!
- I need a literate Castillian!

- I know your Secret!
- I know right where we are!

Contacts:
- Professor Eduardo Villalobos de Iñez y Lobianco (Confidante) (who owes you a Favor x2)
- Octavia Marchesi
- Los Armanos D'Anasio
- Padre Bernardo Cortez de Cordoba - Connection (Confidante) (who owes you his life)
- Alfonso Cortez de Cordoba (Ally, who owes you a Favor)
- Vivienne Ontiveros Cortez de Cordoba (Confidant) (who owes you her life)
- Acalde Xavier Maradoña de Rivera (Owes Nino a drink)
SonofScarlet

Re: Trent's Character: Nino d'Amore

Postby SonofScarlet » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:48 pm

Update for personal agendas; GenCon '22

Nino de Amore
Panache: 4 (16pts+20exp)

Civil Skills (8+2+42exp):
Acrobat (Balance 1, Break Fall 1, Footwork 5, Leaping 1)
Merchant (Jenny 2)
Streetwise (Shopping 1, Socializing 1, Street Navigation 1)

Martial Skills (4+4):
Athlete (Climbing 1, Footwork 5, Sprinting 1, Throwing 1)
Knife (Attack (Knife) 1, Parry (Knife) 3, Throw (Knife) 5)
Pugilism (Attack (Pugilism) 1, Footwork 5, Jab 1)

Cappuntina (Master) (40pts+72exp): Pin (Knife) 5, Throw (Knife) 5, Trick Shooting (Knife) 5, Exploit Weakness (Cappuntina) 5

Exp: 158/161
Money: 940g

Adventures
Episode 3: Gentleman's Wager
Episode 4: A Small Favor
Episode 8: Acts of Desperation

Episode 10: Command Performance

Episode 17: One More Favor
Episode 18: Finessing the Queen
Episode 19: Rising Tensions
Episode 20: The Keystone
Personal Agendas: GenCon '19
Personal Agendas: Origins '22
Personal Agendas: GenCon '22

Cards:
- Stand and Deliver
- It Can't be That Hard
- Leaps and Bounds
- You've Got Lying Eyes
- Legen.....dary!
- I need a literate Castillian!

- I know your Secret!
- I know right where we are!

Secret Society Interest
Explorer's Society - 3
Invisible College - 4
Knights of the Rose and Gross - 11
Los Vagos - 10

Contacts:
- Professor Eduardo Villalobos de Iñez y Lobianco (Confidante) (who owes you a Favor x2)
- Octavia Marchesi
- Los Armanos D'Anasio
- Alfonso Cortez de Cordoba (Ally, who owes you a Favor)
- Vivienne Ontiveros Cortez de Cordoba (Confidant) (who owes you her life)
- Acalde Xavier Maradoña de Rivera (Owes Nino a drink)
- Don Lisandro Montero de Ontiveros
- Don Graciano Bustillo de Roja y Basurto
SonofScarlet

Return to The "Heroes" of Altamira